Orange Crush AM or Clockwork 120S

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking at a new hardtail and was looking at the Orange Crush AM or Clockwork 120S.

I like the ability of upgrading the default Crush AM's fork to the Fox Float CTD 140 but looking at the Orange website it does position the Crush AM in the Enduro category where the Clockwork 120S more XC Trail.

I would be using the hardtail in mainly singletrack but I want the bike to be capable of doing a few trail centres like Coed-Y-Brennin.

Im leaning towards the Crush but any real world advice from people with either bike would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You won't find much love for Orange on BikeRadar I'm afraid.

If I was in the market for a ~£1K hardtail then there's only one bike I'd consider, the Bird Zero

http://shop.birdmtb.com/
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Both a bit pricy for what you get.
    At that price I'd agree with him ^^^^^^^^
    http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-1.html
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Both a bit pricy for what you get.
    At that price I'd agree with him ^^^^^^^^
    http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-1.html

yep. exactly what I was going to say.

The Zero 3 is £995.
    http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-3.html
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    You won't find much love for Orange on BikeRadar I'm afraid.

Why whats wrong with Orange on Bikeradar?

I havent excluded Bird, in fact I have a demo booked but Bird dont offer Cycle to Work so my options maybe limited.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    On-One Parkwood.

Or the Bird.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    theblarney wrote:
    Why whats wrong with Orange on Bikeradar?
    Just overpriced for what you get.

Unless it's an Orange 5, in which case universal hatred.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    On-One Parkwood.

Or the Bird.

The Parkwood looks good but im looking for a 650b bike..
  • Never choose a bike based on wheel size, it's just one factor in the overall package. Consider the complete bike, not just one feature.
    One One Parkwood or the Bird are both a lot better than either Orange.
    The Clockwork and Crush are about the worst specced bikes for the price. The frames are nothing special, just average Taiwanese mass produced frames.
    Look at Boardman and Voodoo as well. The On One 456 650b is also far better than either Orange although I would rather have the Parkwood.
  • Never choose a bike based on wheel size, it's just one factor in the overall package. Consider the complete bike, not just one feature.
    One One Parkwood or the Bird are both a lot better than either Orange.
    The Clockwork and Crush are about the worst specced bikes for the price. The frames are nothing special, just average Taiwanese mass produced frames.
    Look at Boardman and Voodoo as well. The On One 456 650b is also far better than either Orange although I would rather have the Parkwood.
    Of course overall package will be the decider but i already have a 650b, i prefer the wheel size and i dont want to have multiple tyre/wheels sizes in the garage so I am starting my search with 650b.

Im sure one of the major players will have a 650b that I would be happy with.

As mentioned before, Bird is on my list but they dont offer cycle to work schemes (and i understand why) which may limit my options unless I can find another way.
  • I'd look at the On One 45650b as spec wise it's the best you'll get. The angles of the Crush look very good, spec isn't the best though.

How about the Whyte 901? Around £1,000 for the 2014 model on sale and seems to tick the boxes. Reviews have been very good.
  • stuisnew wrote:
    I'd look at the On One 45650b as spec wise it's the best you'll get. The angles of the Crush look very good, spec isn't the best though.

How about the Whyte 901? Around £1,000 for the 2014 model on sale and seems to tick the boxes. Reviews have been very good.
    Whyte is the other on my list but from previous experience I dont get on with them. For some reason that is the only brand where my SPD shoes always seem to clip the chainstays
  • +1 for the On One 45650b. I've had one for 6 months and its been brilliant. Think it retails now for £950 rather than the £900 I paid, but still great value for a great bike!