Cyclocross Racer for under £1500

Lukeaerowallace
Lukeaerowallace Posts: 23
edited September 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions for a pure cyclocross racer for under £1500.

Open to any ideas (full bikes/frame set builds).

Cheers for any suggestions.
Focus Mares Ax 2.0 2015
Cervelo S3 2014
Giant Defy 1 2012

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Same as last time you asked the question: Planet X XLS, and keep the rest of the money to spend on wheels and tyres.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Thank you again for the response, the only issue I have with the suggested Planet X XLS is that it is carbon, Ideally I am looking to have a aluminum frame.

I know I know that carbon is safe but I would just feel safer having a aluminum frame that can handle a few knocks :/
    Focus Mares Ax 2.0 2015
    Cervelo S3 2014
    Giant Defy 1 2012
  • tgotb
    In that case, £600 on something second hand, and keep the rest of the money to spend later.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Any suggestions on what to look for i.e any recommended makes of bike or frame sets to look out for?
    Focus Mares Ax 2.0 2015
    Cervelo S3 2014
    Giant Defy 1 2012
  • Try using BR as a guide

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... clo-cross/

Always a good start point.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tgotb
    Try to get one that has been raced if you can; it'll look a bit tattier, but it's likely to have more suitable tyres and gear ratios (and may well have done less miles). For a starter race bike, don't get too hung up on whether it has disc or canti brakes, either will be fine.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Cheers Danlikesbikes Ive already had a little look but thanks for the reply ;)

And TGOTB thank you for the advice I may have to start searching the ebay pages (just hope I get lucky ) :)

And any other suggestions are still appreciated...
    Focus Mares Ax 2.0 2015
    Cervelo S3 2014
    Giant Defy 1 2012
  • You could go for 2nd hand but new you have plenty of options that are not cRbon framed if your worried about damaging the frame, though think you will find carbon pretty strong.

Kona jake
    Raleigh rx
    Cube cross
    Vitus

That's just the start of a long list for you after a few minutes Google searching, plus most are on sale right now too
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Cheers again Dan for the suggestions.

After you made your search were there any bikes (including the suggestions above) that you thought were worth a further look (that is if it was your own money).

An opinion would be great as i've had a look myself and have seen the Raleigh Rx, the Cannondale Cx, Kenisis Cros6 and the canyon inflite 9.0 any of these worth a second look?
    Focus Mares Ax 2.0 2015
    Cervelo S3 2014
    Giant Defy 1 2012
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    I've just bought a Rose Cross DX Pro - price depends on the various different groupset options but 105 or Ultegra are within your budget.

See - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40114&t=12984831
  • I'm confused OP: you are totally open to *any* kind of Alu frame whatsoever and have no firm opinions, yet the only opinion you do have is you are 100% certain you don't want carbon.

What gives? What are the reasons behind this? Does not make sense in the same breath as saying "Racer".

It's like saying you want the fastest airplane in the world, but no jets just propeller...dig?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Hi FrasJacques,

Thanks for the response, I know it may sound silly but I guess I just feel more comfortable riding an aluminum frame in cross conditions (happy to ride carbon for road or triathlon bikes :/)for example if i cock a gear change up causing the chain to drop or if I fall during a race, these are all things which are to be expected in cross conditions and I know modern carbon frames are built to deal with this but I just feel for the budget and having only one bike that aluminum is the better option.

However If you believe I'm missing a trick here, please feel free to express your opinion and maybe offer some further carbon options (Planet X XLS has already been mentioned).

Thanks again for the response.
    Focus Mares Ax 2.0 2015
    Cervelo S3 2014
    Giant Defy 1 2012
  • Thanks for taking that in the right spirit, I just wanted to reassure you that jumping straight in at the deep end at the price bracket you're thinking about is totally worth it and you'll not be sorry. I also did the alu 'taster bike' to a carbon bike. But knowing what I do about carbon frames, I ask myself why I bothered. Note that most carbon CX bikes are heavier built ~1250 grams due to extra layers for the beatings you mention.

Carbon can take a beating, certainly at my ham-fisted hands. I'm by no means easy on my bike and I've ridden it 3 seasons now, and in some horrible conditions.

If you want to avoid crunching your front derailleur, then go for this lovely single ring set up: http://www.merlincycles.com/ridley-x-ni ... 71090.html

This is another beauty as well: http://www.merlincycles.com/ridley-x-ni ... 71110.html

The other bike you cannot fail with is the Spesh Carbon Crux - find a used one in your size or just a bare frame. Hargroves had the ex-team bikes for only £5oo for F&F (killer!).
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Wow some seriously nice bikes for the money, thanks again for the response you've certainly opened my eyes.

Looks like I'll be taking a look at other ex-team bikes/carbon frame sets to build up ;) certainly better value than the aluminum bikes I've previously looked at and I guess as long as I have my racing insurance if something does go wrong I'm covered.

Thanks again FransJacques
    Focus Mares Ax 2.0 2015
    Cervelo S3 2014
    Giant Defy 1 2012
  • tgotb
    as long as I have my racing insurance if something does go wrong I'm covered.
    Bear in mind that, although you're much more likely to crash in a CX race, the consequences are nothing like the same as on the road. You're probably going to hit the deck at 10mph or less, and because it's generally muddy you'll probably just slide. You're also not going to have 20 other people riding over the top of your bike at 25mph. I've crashed my carbon bike countless times, mostly in training, and the sum total of the damage is a missing bar end plug, a ripped skinsuit, and a rather fetching chainring-shaped scar on my thigh.

Thinking about it, the one thing you do have to watch out for is the rear mech; it's only a matter of time before you clog one up and suck it round the chainstay, or drop the bike on it and bend the hanger. For this reason, don't buy a CX bike without a replaceable mech hanger (if such a bike even exists). Well worth buying a spare hanger at the same time; sod's law dictates that when you do bend yours, it will be out of stock everywhere...
    Pannier, 120rpm.