11 speed cassette fitment

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I am sure that this has been done but I can't find it.
Bits of this have appeared elsewhere but it gets messy and off the point and I lose the plot.
Simple questions
1> Does a 11 speed cassette, SRAM or Shimano fit a 10 speed freehub?
2> if maybe, what works? I hear that XTR cassettes fit.
I am at the point whereby a swap to 11 speed could happen. Cassette ratios are the least of my worry as I can play with chainsets.

Comments

• 11 speed doesn't fit on a 10 speed hub.
  • First concrete answer on the subject that I have seen. Ta
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    It will only fit if your ten speed hub has a 1.8mm packing washer on the inside.

If it does (all Mavic wheels have been like this for at least 3 years), then the 11 speed cassette fits if you remove the packer.

What wheels do you have and how old are they?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • While strictly true you can get an 11s cassette on a 10s hub if you drop one of the sprockets.

I found that it works best if you drop the 13 or 14, less of a jump between teeth. Just fit with the standard 10s spacer and it'll work.

This is obviously a temporary fix until you can get a true 11s as there's not much point with an 11s group if you run it as 10s!
  • Ta
    I am most definitely not ditching my hubs so I guess its staying 10 speed for a while. Could buy the shifters and wait til I need a hub but that's not likely this decade.
  • You may be able to get a replacement freehub body that is 11 speed compatible.
  • You may be able to get a replacement freehub body that is 11 speed compatible.
  • Nope. Old but lovely hope disc hubs.
    Could go 11 speed shifters I suppose and ditch a cog.
    do 11 speed cassettes have the same locking system as 10 which means that I can't ditch the smallest? 12 is plenty small enough and even 13 would be fine.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You have to buy another 12 or 13......
  • Yes the lock ring mechanism is the same so you would need to keep the smallest cog and take another one out.