Novatec MTB hubs

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Anyone have any experience of the Novatec MTB hubs, specifically the D811SB and D812SB ones? Their road stuff seems to be generally ok, if a little lacking in long term durability of bearings and seals, but wondered if the MTB ones are any good at all?

Looking to build a spare set of (cheap) wheels for just light duty trail stuff, in mainly dry conditions.
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Novatec are sold under many brand names, probably one of the most populous (in the UK) is Superstar.

Mostly good reliable fairly light hubs, the stock bearings in the superstar wheels are a bit short lived (which may or may not apply to the Novatec hubs) but are cheap as chips to replace when the time comes. As an indication I currently have Superstar branded hubs on my bike (2009 vintage), I have had to replace the rear bearings (all 4 - cost about £10) and am about to buy another Novatec rear hub (the 722SB which is a bit lighter) for my next wheel build (the MTB wheels will then be used to upgrade my commuter) so I'm a happy user.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks, sounds like they may be worth a go then. I have some Hope ones or DT Swiss but both are a bit good for this build, would be wasted, so was looking for something cheaper!
    Cheers
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The Rookie
    They aren't as solid as the Hope (but come in a little lighter on a similar spec basis), nor as light as the DT Swiss (240s I presume), but they aren't fine behind either. I've had no hesitation in using them again, although some people with heavier duty uses have had some issues with the freehub.

The other one to look for are the Chin Haur ones which come in a variety of names (A2Z, Rotaz, American Classic and WTB - possibly more), they look and weigh remarkably close to the 'circus monkey' ones on ebay but whether they are from CH or not I don't know.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have found bearing sealing poor and freehubs weak on Superstar and Nukeproof branded Novatec hubs. I will avoid them in the future.
  • The Rookie
    Like most cartridge bearing hubs there is no additional sealing to speak of, you are relying on the bearings own seals, so fit better!
  • Hope hubs have an o ring around the end caps to keep crap away from the bearings. I find they last much longer in my Hope hubs than my old Superstar or Nukeproof.
    Bearing seals are designed to keep grease in, not resist dirt and grit wearing them.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The Rookie wrote:
    Novatec are sold under many brand names, probably one of the most popular (in the UK) is Superstar.

Is that true? Are Superstar hubs re-badged Novatec? All of them?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    Certainly most are, not sure if it's all or not.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't think the Teslas are, but don't know who they come from, as it'll just be a different Taiwanese catalogue brand.