Time trial frame. Worth it?

shaw8670
shaw8670 Posts: 264
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a tt bike that is steel. My position is ok and I have aero wheels. Would a stiff carbon aero frame such as a Planet x Exocet 2 be likely to give me much advantage? I quite like the ride of steel, but am keen maximise performance as I come into my late 40's and realise that performance improvements I make need to be soon!
Greetings from the wet and windy North west

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    shaw8670 wrote:
    I have a tt bike that is steel. My position is ok and I have aero wheels. Would a stiff carbon aero frame such as a Planet x Exocet 2 be likely to give me much advantage? I quite like the ride of steel, but am keen maximise performance as I come into my late 40's and realise that performance improvements I make need to be soon!

If it's what you want to do, then do it. Nothing wrong with wanting to be a little more competitive. Be aware though that in your late 40's there are other things that may be in need of a monetary infusion(family, home, car, retirement, etc.).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What is your training like ? I'd say trainerroad is a cheaper way to get better benefits.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It will give you a bit, but not loads. They are blowing out the Exocet 2 for peanuts which would certainly tempt me if I had an old frameset. Cheaper than an hour in the tunnel...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • 23mph average, maybe a new frame would inspire new training methods?
    300ish watts on the tacx Flow turbo. 5 hrs per week training, bit more required?
  • Grill
    I can't even come close to that output on the turbo. Should be a fair bit faster unless you're a very big lad or doing hilly courses. Any pictures of your position?
  • 86kg, seat at uci limit of 5cm behind bb, back reasonably flat. 118m o climbing in our 10tt course.
  • Grill
    Why are you respecting the UCI limits? Completely unnecessary.