Fit adjustments?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
I'm riding a Decathlon Triban 3 (red) which cost me £300, and now using SPDs and some MTB shoes.

As I'm riding a bit more this year than last, I thought I'd try out the Bike Fit Fast app to see if there were any pointers as to how I could ensure that my fit was a little more optimised than the "let's try that height" adjustment which is the only one I've used so far.

One of the highlights from using that was that it appeared that my max knee angle (angle when foot is at the bottom of the stroke) was 133 degrees, which seems to be about 15 degrees or so away from the "desired" angle.

It also highlighted to me that my foot ought to be horizontal with the ground at the base of the stroke - my toes are distinctly pointing downwards, probably at about 30 degress or so, perhaps more.

So the max knee angle is (to me) suggesting a higher seat, the foot angle is suggesting a lower seat.

Any advice on things to try? Perhaps moving the seat backwards a touch?

How important is a level foot at the bottom of the stroke? My main exercise to date has been running, so it could well be that I have quite tight calves which gives me a tendency to point the foot downwards.

Suggestions gratefull received. Though I can't seem myself spending £150+ on a proper bike fit.
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It's all a guide. Some people pedal with the foot flat, others prefer toes down. Same thing with KOPS. I ride quite far forward and am nowhere near where I should be.

I'd make small incremental changes. Raise your saddle by no more than a few mm at a time and if you have no issues then great (you'll probably find that your quads feel fresher).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg