New Sportive bike for big guy

Donie75
Donie75 Posts: 92
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I've recently completed an 850km charity cycle on my Dolan Hercules and the bike was 100% except for on very long days over 130km. I have decided to upgrade to one of the new sportive style bikes in January.
Two key points are that I weigh around 125kg but I won't be using factory wheels as I am a handbuilt wheel convert. I got a set of 36 spoke Mavic Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs 3 years ago and they have been faultless. I will hopefully go for 105/Ultegra 11 speed on the new bike so I will get new wheels built.

I'm looking at a few different bikes
Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4 - the mix and match groupset puts me off a bit
Canyon Endurance - very well kitted out bike
Rose Xeon Team CGF - looks well specced like the Canyon
Look 566 - not sure what weight limit
Cannondale Synapse 105 - Shimano RS11 wheels and mix n match groupset are a let down on such an expensive bike.
Cervelo R2

Does anyone have any experience of these bikes? Especially if you are a big guy like me.

Comments

• How tall are you? The Look only goes up to XL and in Look's world XL isn't massive - if you are over 6'2 look careully at the geometry. It also isn't particularly sportivey compared to some of the other bikes listed, I'd say Look geometry is normally fairly pro-road and their sportive geometry is more like some other manufacturers normal road geometry. Having said that I think Look make quality bikes and my experience of their customer service is that it is excellent.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I'm 6ft. That's interesting about the Look geometry. I had a bike fit done recently and the fitter offered to check the geometry on some bikes for me. That might be the best plan.
    The Canyon Endurace and the Rose Xeon CGF are definitely the best specced.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The Endurace is also less "Sportivey" than most. It's a more upright bike than their Ultimate race bikes but I think it's a bit of a middleground between typical race geometry and something like a Roubaix. The headtubes aren't massively long although there is another 10mm or so in the fork crown and probably another 10mm-15mm in the Acros headset below the stem so maybe add 25mm to the headtube length when comparing with most others.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Can you fix the current bike position with a new stem?
    Why not a new winter training style bike?
  • I'm actually thinking I might keep my Dolan as a winter and turbo bike. I have put a more angled stem on it and that did help.
    I had a feeling that the Look and Canyon were not too sportivey.
    I like the look and spec of the Rose Xeon CGF but I'm having trouble finding a geometry chart on their website.
    The Giant Defy looks good too but they seem to be going all disc for the Defy range next year.
  • Also looking at the Rose CGF with di2. All the CGFs have been reduced by £100 ish.

The geometry is via this link just click the tab "frame"

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-xe ... aid:746420