Cutting a Carbon Seat Post?

leechy12
leechy12 Posts: 47
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Just picked up a new frame and want to fit my Deda Super Zero carbon seat post. Trouble being I need it to go down an inch and it's getting stuck on what's like a chink in the carbon inside the frame. Is it OK to cut down the seat post ? There is plenty spare......
VeloViewer Score
From 100 of 1,168 segments.
Maximum possible score: 99.95

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp. A lot of posts have a minimum insert indicator, just make sure you don't cut more than that off. Another guide is to see what lengths they make the post in and ensure you don't go past the min length available.

Carbon paste works very well on seat posts btw and prevents excessive torque.
  • Thanks mate, I've some carbon paste, think I'll let LBS do it though as I don't have a vice / clamp set up in the Shed!
    I'm now fretting about EPS v1 as it's not selecting smallest sprocket on the cassette.
    VeloViewer Score
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Beware that the minimum insert point will "move" as the post shortens. It's to do with having enough post inside the frame to resist the turning moment caused by the eccentric axial loading of the post (via you sitting on the saddle, inevitably, not exactly over the centre of the post).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Thanks Ben, will bear in mind - I'm only taking an inch off and there will still be enough by some margin after checking again last night.
    Its the EPS thats giving me greif now - not selecting 1st Sprocket. Will carry out system zero tonight and see how that works.
    VeloViewer Score