Any experience of cheaper car bike carriers?

Steve236
Steve236 Posts: 212
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Although I'd rather be getting a renowned make like a Thule or something, money is a bit tight at the moment so I''m looking at budget options for a bike carrier for the car for the family bikes (3 of them) and also the tailgate ones seem less money than roof or tow bar mounted ones, not already having roof racks or a tow bar installed. Options are a bit restricted as our car, a ford c max, has a baffle at the top of the tailgate so isn't compatible with a lot of makes. I found one called a Peruzzo Venezia for around 50 or 60 quid which seems like good value but wondering if it will be a case of buy cheap buy twice (or worse, buy cheap, bikes all over the M25).

Does anyone have any experience of this rack or of other budget options?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Does the manufacturer advise or state absolutely not to use a boot-mounted rack? Mercedes do for mine. Might also be worth checking the construction of the hatch. The boot spoiler over the hatch on mine is also plastic; the metalwork does not extend to the edge, so any supports or straps would be pulling on the plastic - that could get messy.

If boot-racks are ok, then look around for the Saris Bones, which seem quite strong and stable.
  • Can't help with the boot racks, but I used the budget roof bars and cycle rack from roofbox, and although a little clunky (made of steel) and after a number of years it is showing some rust, they have safely carried our bikes on many journeys including many long motorway trips.
  • If you go boot mounted then don't forget you'll need a light board of the bikes cover either the number plate or lights.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Only used Thule and my honest opinion is that their stuff is well worth the money if you plan on using it longterm.
    Have only had roof mounted stuff, but guessing their boot mounts will be quality.

Saris bones 3 is the only boot mount I have experience of that I would recommend if suitable for your car.
    Its often has a big discount if you are happy with odd colours.

Other ones I have touched have all been yuk. Not that I am sold on hanging bikes off of bodywork anyway, so would defo get a decent one if I did.
  • Go to roofbox.co.uk. Use their guide to see what will fit. Their fit database is quite good. Also you can spek to your ford dealer.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • IIRC a lot of makes of carrier say not suitable with a spoiler but I got a new car that has a sort of mini spoiler at the top (SEAT altea XL). I still use the same relatively cheapo Avenir. however we paid almost as much for is as discounted Saris Bones racks which are a lot better. With your car you should get it above the number plate and possibly not block the lights, but as said you will need a board if you do. Doesn't that mean a full on electric light board?? If thats the case doesn't it mean a towbar style electrics plug??? If that is the case it is a lot of money and you might as well get a towbar mount rack in that case. i have seen towbar racks costing the same as boot racks. Even good ones too.
  • I have one of these from Halfords http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-equipment/bike-racks-cycle-carriers/bike-racks-cycle-carriers/rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier according to their chart it's suitable for the Focus C Max and it's high mounted so it doesn't obscure the number plate/lights.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Once got a cheap bike carrier for the back of my focus hatch but it nade a lot of marks - much more to fix than the cost of the carrier. Since then went with Thule and had no issues. Other good makes too of cours, but skimping may be a false economy. Maybe Thule off e bay (if they fit)?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Got a Halfrauds 3 bike carrier which was a bit fiddly to fit with all the straps and that, but which never let us down. Perfectly adequate for occasional use, and held the bikes high enough on our people carrier to avoid need for a light board.

Upgraded to a towbar mounted Atera Strada, which is marvellous but which cost £800 or so if you include the towbar!!!!!

It's just a hill. Get over it.