Best trail/#Enduro shoes

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a new set of trail/#enduro spds as my current MP66's are being relegated to spares use. I've got a few options in mind, but looking for other options/opinions.

I've so far looked at Giro Terraduro's or chamber's can get them cheap through work so seem pretty good anyone used either? Also open to FiveTen's either Impact clipless, maltese falcons or freeriders, bit more expensive but if they're worth it then so be it. Final option so far is to stick with what I know and just go for AM45's, the cheapest option and I do get on well with my MP66's.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'd avoid the AM45's. They're worse in every way compared to the MP66's. I always reach for the MP66's instead of the AM45's when I go for a ride. The AM45's don't fit as nicely, have a worse lace cover, aren't as grippy, aren't as well built and are hideous in comparison IMO.

I'm liking the look of the Mavic Crossmax shoes to replace my MP66's at some point. I've heard of a few people having issues with the sole on the Terraduro's which put me off them as they were also on my short list.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Enduro shoes? I thought both your bikes were 26"? :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • lawman
    Had forgotten about the mavics, I looked at a pair of alpines and thought they were alright. Another option is the new shimano M200's, they look a bit special (and not in a good way) but perhaps they might be a decent option?
  • lawman
    CitizenLee wrote:

For the time being they are both 26", but for how long that lasts remains to be seen! :lol: With a gorgeous Mondraker Foxy Carbon hanging in our showroom the temptation to splash out on a new steed is insane! :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    peter413 wrote:
    I'd avoid the AM45's. They're worse in every way compared to the MP66's. I always reach for the MP66's instead of the AM45's when I go for a ride. The AM45's don't fit as nicely, have a worse lace cover, aren't as grippy, aren't as well built and are hideous in comparison IMO.
    +1
    godawful shoes, a triumph of marketing over function

I liked mine so much I sent them back and got the MP66s repaired. Still using them
  • Disagree completely. AM45 have been a great fit for me, are warm in the winter, relatively dry (obviously won't survive water over the top), incredibly hard wearing and very grippy (I use Mallets and if, for some reason, I miss the engagement then they grip the pins very well indeed.)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    lawman wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

For the time being they are both 26", but for how long that lasts remains to be seen! :lol: With a gorgeous Mondraker Foxy Carbon hanging in our showroom the temptation to splash out on a new steed is insane! :lol:

Haha, I don't think I could cope starting at that all day! Still, if I had your Ibis or Cotic I don't think I'd be in any rush to replace them :)

As for shoes, I'm considering the Specialized 2FO (non clipped), but I'm not sure if they're the sort of thing you're after?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialize ... iewed.html
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8