Commuting in "Work Clothes"?

2»

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Do a lot of workplaces have showers that workers can use? Nowhere I've ever worked has and I wouldnt have wanted to be getting changed in the toilets either.
    I think it depends on the person if they need a shower. I've ridden for miles and havent been all hot and sweaty. I think needing a shower for a 5 mile bike ride seems a bit excessive unless the person is very unfit.

The showers at my work are quite modern, although nothing fancy. They're cleaned a few times a day so never smell or seem grotty. There's one on each floor, so it's not like a rugby club or anything either.

I could easily shower at home first and still feel ok when I get there, but as its getting colder and wetter it just makes more sense to do it at work. Plus it means can leave a bit earlier to avoid worst of the traffic.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Do a lot of workplaces have showers that workers can use? Nowhere I've ever worked has and I wouldnt have wanted to be getting changed in the toilets either.
    I think it depends on the person if they need a shower. I've ridden for miles and havent been all hot and sweaty. I think needing a shower for a 5 mile bike ride seems a bit excessive unless the person is very unfit.

most of the year, my short commute I don't get hot, but for a few weeks they cull the deer, so I have to go around, and on the whole mixing with traffic I tend to hold a faster pace and do end glowing at least...
  • byke68 wrote:
    Am I the only person doing a 10 mile commute? Bunch of girls, you lot doing 4-5 or 6 miles! :D

Anyway, yes, I wear a works t-shirt under a L/S Jersey or thin jacket but have a pair of trousers waiting in my locker as I wear 3/4 shorts even in winter.

Have you considered taking up running for such short distances? :lol:
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • We have a uniform so I cycle in proper cycle gear - as my commute is 24.3 miles each way :)
    I take is easy on the way in but do sweat, although I don't shower as I don't smell too much unless I've been pushing hard. Quick wipe down and a blast of deo and good to go.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    byke68 wrote:
    Am I the only person doing a 10 mile commute? Bunch of girls, you lot doing 4-5 or 6 miles! :D

Anyway, yes, I wear a works t-shirt under a L/S Jersey or thin jacket but have a pair of trousers waiting in my locker as I wear 3/4 shorts even in winter.

Have you considered taking up running for such short distances? :lol:

Naa, it would take too long. :D
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    ... and running is a horrible way to travel!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • i used to commute in work clothes when i worked in a warehouse type environment (in my early 20's) and personal hygiene wasn't ranked too highly but since working in an office i do like a shower at work after my commute and like others hate feeling 'orrible and sweaty. creases in my work shirt are normally minimal and smoothed out quickly enough.
    i have even chosen jobs that have better commuter friendly facilities as i find it important. cycling home in clothes still wet from the ride in is pants!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Get much to sweaty for my liking. Especially when its hot!
  • Do a lot of workplaces have showers that workers can use? Nowhere I've ever worked has and I wouldnt have wanted to be getting changed in the toilets either.

It depends. I worked at Universities for 10 years and they always had showers. But now I'm working for a private company they don't and any suggestion they install a shower is laughed at like I'd suggested we tie balloons to the building and fly it to Mars.

Or if it's 5 miles up a 20 climb, but in general yes, you take it easy it won't be an issue.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I don't wear my work clothes on the ride in as I've tried it before and found its awkward to ride with jeans on etc.

My ride in is 7 mile ride and I only need to wash the bottom of my back from my back pack getting me a bit warm otherwise a spray of deodorant and away I go.

I've found the more I was riding to work the fitter I got and don't need to get a shower.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You want to bet? I sit near you at work and you fair stink!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem