Gearing down to go faster? Fixed content inside.

2»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Currently at 76" and thinking about moving to 80.8" in the spring. This time last year I was running 71.8" and I'd say I was quicker than I am now, but then my commute was a lot shorter
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Run 80.1 for ages (48/16 on 28c). No knee trouble and well into my thirties. 25c tyres now and 24mph is the sweet spot if it's wind-free.

Don't think a normal person on a city commute can go too much above 80 as acceleration from standing would be sluggish plus it's a bit of a chore on a windy day.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I started with 44x16 which was great but hated the spin out at 30mph when decending. I then ran 44x14 for a short "macho big gear" stint. It was 82.6 GI and damn killed me on the commutes with the hills around here. (Both on a 23c tyre)

My current is 44x15 (on a 25), which is 77.5 GI. Its great for flatter rides but a little too big for the hills, great for training though.

I think 48x17 would be perfect for me (74.8, 17 patches) but ill wait for my chain set to die before I change it out.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    pastryboy wrote:
    Run 80.1 for ages (48/16 on 28c). No knee trouble and well into my thirties. 25c tyres now and 24mph is the sweet spot if it's wind-free.

Don't think a normal person on a city commute can go too much above 80 as acceleration from standing would be sluggish plus it's a bit of a chore on a windy day.

ha :lol: never you mind the knee troubles will find you. :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I've got a pedal stroke that's smoother than a silk sheet sliding down the bonnet of a Ferrari that's just been polished to a high shine by the good Lord himself.

..and if that lets me down at least I get free BUPA through work.
  • I'm thinking 48/17 (74") is very likely perfect for the commute. It seems to be the sweet spot for many. I'll pick up a 48 chainring next week to try it out. If not that, 46/17 (71") is good.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm thinking 48/17 (74") is very likely perfect for the commute. It seems to be the sweet spot for many. I'll pick up a 48 chainring next week to try it out. If not that, 46/17 (71") is good.

48/17 gets my vote, easy to sprint away from the lights and good enough to sit well into the mid to high 20s without looking like an overwound toy.

48/16 FAIL!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    I've used 49 x 16 for some years now without any problems in London. I had always intended to switch to 49 x 17 for the winter but never got round to it. Seems to give a reasonable pace on the flat so that I can keep up with geared bikes and it is still possible to get up Sydenham Hill.
    Condor Pista
    50x16