Tightening the Headset

SR7492
SR7492 Posts: 190
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi All,

I recently checked and cleaned the front fork and headset bearings; lubed and put everything back together as it was.

The problem I've been having is that I get vibrations when braking on downhills. I tightened the headset a bit more and thought It had solved the issue but there is still a slight vibration.

The steering is still fine, so is it a case of notching up the headset until there is no vibration at all (as long as the steering movement isn't affected)?

Some of the DIY videos suggest that headsets only need minimal tightening, but I'm having to turn up a few clicks and worried about tightening it too much!

The bike is a CAAD10

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you know how to adjust the Headset?

and are doing it as per the info on Parktools?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    Yep - followed the PT video.
  • I guess its all down to getting the headset pre-loaded correctly and tightening the stem on the steerer. You want to avoid any tightness in the headset, so dont load it down too much or you will hose the bearings.
    Does the headset seem more out of adjustment after a ride?

Also, have you checked the brake is actually done up tight on the fork?
    Is the rim clean? No grease etc left on the braking surface?
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Also check the bung inside the steerer is in the correct position (down) and tight. If it's not, the adjustment procedure doesn't work. Tightening the top cap pulls the bung up rather than the steerer itself.
  • A typical test for whether the HS is tight enough is to brake the front wheel, and try to firmly roll the bike forward and backward. If you can hear or feel the fork moving in the frame then the HS should be tighter.
    The purpose of the bearings in the HS is only to solidly support and center the fork in the frame, and to allow the fork to be turned. The 'ease' of turning the fork is of little concern.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • The 'ease' of turning the fork is of little concern.

If the headset is tight or even worse "notchy", the headset is too tight. Not really a concern for cornering, but most certainly a concern for the bearings/races as they will deteriorate quite quickly.
  • lapavoni10 wrote:
    If the headset is tight or even worse "notchy", the headset is too tight. Not really a concern for cornering, but most certainly a concern for the bearings/races as they will deteriorate quite quickly.
    =========================================
    Yes, if the fork is actually difficult to turn, then the HS is much too tight.
    'Notchy' comes from the bearings 'hammering' into the races and causing small depressions.
    My bike has had a somewhat notchy HS for several years and the bearings looked OK when I cleaned and regreased the HS at the start of this season. I have never noticed the notchiness while riding - only when gently moving the fork when standing next to the bike.
    My HS is adjusted tight enough to hold the fork steady when rocking the bike.

If the notchiness bothers you, or the HS cannot be adjusted to hold the fork securely, then getting a new HS (with proper installation) is the fix.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA