Can't operate sti shifters

Domk1979
Domk1979 Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
Sorry for the amateur terminology but I've just collected a merlin pr7 from merlin cycles and can't get the right hand shifter to go up the rear gears. Is there a simple fix or do I need to whizz it back to the shop. Yes I am operating it correctly by shifting the brake lever to the left
but then nothing happens. Help please!

Comments

• Just take it back to the shop. Too many possible reasons for it not working and if there is any evidence that you have been messing with it they may blame you and charge to correct it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is the cable under tension ? Has it come loose from the rear mech ?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Probably best to take it back to Merlin and let them sought it out seeing as it's new and you haven't been able to ride it. Depending on what it is, tell them it has inconvenienced you and you would like a goodwill gesture.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Are you certain you're pressing the right brake lever inboard without touching the downshift paddle?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Perhaps I am being stupid, but do you not upshift on Claris by operating the smaller lever behind the brake lever?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    DesWeller wrote:
    Perhaps I am being stupid, but do you not upshift on Claris by operating the smaller lever behind the brake lever?

Indeed. Getting my up and downshifts backwards. Been a long day... :oops:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What was the problem in the end ?