Should Miche Primato Hubs make a noise?

Quizmate
Quizmate Posts: 97
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I've got some new wheels with brand new Miche Primato Hubs. Both front and rear make a light "tinkling" noise when spinning the wheels and although not overly audible when riding I'm vaguely aware of it. I don't mind as long as it's normal for this hub. If anyone has experience of these Hubs and can advise then that would be a great help.

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    That sounds similar to mine. They are relatively quiet hubs, especially compared to the hope ones I have!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Is it free hub noise (ticking) when you free wheel or is it almost like a brake block rubbing on the wheel?

Have you preloaded the bearings?

With your wheel in clamped in and secure, loosen the red collar bolt with a 2 (might be a 2.5) allen key. Tighten the collar, use a spanner but don't' go silly. Tighten the small allen screw on the red collar. Job done.

I have the same hubs and I've had to do this every month or so.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:

With your wheel in clamped in and secure, loosen the red collar bolt with a 2 (might be a 2.5) allen key. Tighten the collar, use a spanner but don't' go silly. Tighten the small allen screw on the red collar. Job done.

2 mm

If you use a tool to tighten the red preload cap, two things will happen

1) The bearings will wear out much quicker and you will have to keep tightening, as you are experiencing right now

2) The preload cap will crack. Although it's a cheap piece of alloy, it's not always easy to find as a spare part, so it's best if that doesn't happen

Just like in the case of Mavic hubs, you don't want to preload the bearings too much. I find that as they come from the factory, they are already a bit too tight and generally I do release them a tad if I feel it's necessary
    left the forum March 2023
  • jordan_217 wrote:

2 mm

If you use a tool to tighten the red preload cap, two things will happen

1) The bearings will wear out much quicker and you will have to keep tightening, as you are experiencing right now

2) The preload cap will crack. Although it's a cheap piece of alloy, it's not always easy to find as a spare part, so it's best if that doesn't happen

Just like in the case of Mavic hubs, you don't want to preload the bearings too much. I find that as they come from the factory, they are already a bit too tight and generally I do release them a tad if I feel it's necessary

Hi

Thanks for the advice here. It's not a harsh rubbing sound more a gentle ticking noise. Some wheels e.g. my Mavic Aksiums just spin without making any noise so I thought it a little odd. I'm guessing then they do make a noise so perhaps all is well. I've set the pre load as advised by the wheel builder once the wheels were on the bike and gripped by the skewers. Too loose and the wheels wobbled side to side and too tight they would spin but stop after a few rotations. I must admit I'd rather not have to fiddle with this as I worry about wearing out the bearings too soon. I'm tempted to set them fairly loose so turning the pre load cap to a point just after they stop wobbling, but that might be wrong. To be honest there's not much advice out there on the web re these hubs so it's difficult to know what's right.
  • Are you sure it's the hub and not saying... the tube valve ticking against the rim at every revolution?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hi, no I don't think so and it's both wheels, although more noticeable on the front of course as there's no freehub etc
  • No noise at all on the front. Just the freehub tick on the back. That was silent when I first got it but has slowly increased to a very gentle tick.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • No noise at all on the front. Just the freehub tick on the back. That was silent when I first got it but has slowly increased to a very gentle tick.

Hmmmm interesting. I think I'll contact the wheel builder for his opinion as I'm aware he uses this hub alot!
  • Hello Everyone. Problem now solved. Much to my embarrassment the noise was not actually coming from the hub. After using my ears properly and a process of elimination it turned out that small protruding slithers of rubber on the tyre (which I will now trim off) were catching on the brake as the wheel rotated. It wasn't a problem on my previous thinner rims but these hubs are laced to a wider 23mm rim (H son archetype). My apologies for wasting anyone's time but thanks again for all the advice including the pre load details which was very helpful.