2006 Carrera Banshee gearing advice

Ben2012
Ben2012 Posts: 24
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have a Carrera Banshee and its due another gearing change.

Chain rings, Chain, Rear derralier and cassette

I did this 2 or 3 years ago and ever since something has not been quite right,
Its like the chain is far too long in some gears and too tight in others.

Does anyone know which components are best matched?

Id love if someone could point out an "average" derralier, I had a X9 on it last

And also a derralier with a clutch mechanism as my friends have the clutch and love them.

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't have a clutch with 9 speed.

Sounds like last time you bought a mech with too short a cage, cage length is determined by the gear spread you have.

Select the right components and they will all work fine. You shouldn't need a new rear mech after 3 years (mine is a 2006 and in perfect working order) it probably just needs a freshen up.

What shifters are you using, what chainwheels (number of teeth) and what cassette?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    You shouldn't need a new rear mech after 3 years (mine is a 2006 and in perfect working order) it probably just needs a freshen up.

Life of the mech depends on mileage, maintenance and riding conditions not how many years its been in use.
    You can have a 9 speed clutch mech set up. SRAM 9 speed shifter with Shimano 10 speed clutch mech and any 9 speed cassette. Common downhill set up where you don't want too many gears.
  • The Rookie wrote:

Sounds like last time you bought a mech with too short a cage, cage length is determined by the gear spread you have.

Select the right components and they will all work fine. You shouldn't need a new rear mech after 3 years (mine is a 2006 and in perfect working order) it probably just needs a freshen up.

What shifters are you using, what chainwheels (number of teeth) and what cassette?

Shifters and chain wheels are standard, I got the chain rings from Halfords last time as a replacement part

The cassette was a silver SRAM one with anodised red middle

But as I said the whole lot needs replacing.

My derralier has had a lot of abuse in its life, rocks, sticks ect.

Most recent being going into my rear wheel, breaking 4 spokes and my hanger so yes,
    I do require a new derralier.
  • Pick a Shimano groupset to suit your budget and make sure you pick a mech with the range to suit your choice of ratios.
  • The Rookie
    He has SRAM shifters, so unless he is happy changing the shifters as well he'll need at least a SRAM rear mech.

AS RM pointed out there is a slightly 'bodged' (it works just fine) way of getting a clutched Mech on 9 speed (I was using manufacturer recommendations when I said you couldn't do it) .

A friend has a Banshee running Deore HT2 cranks, SLX brakes, Shimano Deore front mech (low mount, lighter than most SRAM offerings) and an X9 rear mech with X7 shifters.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok So i have some more info on the parts I need.

Im not extremely bothered about weight, its a heavy bike anyway.

My shifters are SRAM X7

My BB is tapered square. (Cant change or I would change)

Parts I would like to buy :
    SRAM PC971 9 Speed Chain

SRAM PG990 9 Speed MTB Cassette (11-34t)

Front chainset required (Still havent found one with square taper 9 speed) 44,32,22 175mm crank

And a suitable derralier for that setup with a clutch preferably?

Can anyone advise on missing parts?

Thanks,

Ben
  • The Rookie
    Why can't you change the BB? Anyway any triple chainset will do, forget the speeds. Personally I'd go with a Deore HT2, lighter and stiffer.

When you have a heavy bike, saving weight is perhaps even more important!

As RM has pointed out you can use a Shimano 10 speed shadow plus (with damper) with your shifters, I understand it needs a small spacer at the clamp bolt.

I wouldn't use SRAM chains KMC are better and cheaper, I also think Shimano cassettes are longer lasting than SRAM.
  • I chose that cassette as that's what I have been running since my last rebuild over 2 years ago. I like it and it's never given me trouble.

What I'm looking for is advice as to which chain set to buy

And what derralier (I'm guessing a long cage)
    And what mods are required to make it 9 speed.

Any other information isn't really needed, just adds confusion.
  • The Rookie
    Chainset wise, I'd get a Deore HT2, can be had for around £50 including BB.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Chainset wise, I'd get a Deore HT2, can be had for around £50 including BB.

I cannot change my chainset. Ive said this before.

Unless I take a blowtorch to my frame its not coming out.

The bottom bracket in the frame is fine anyway, so no squeeks,squeels or play.
  • The Rookie
    Why is the BB not coming out' never had one the breaker bar wouldn't shift before, you are undoing it the right way? (Left hand thread on the driveside, so clockwise to undo). You can't use a blowtorch to get steel out of aluminium as the frame will give first!

If you are sticking with square taper and the BB you need to know the axle width to get a chainset compatible with that width, I could recommend one but it may well need a different width axle.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Why is the BB not coming out' never had one the breaker bar wouldn't shift before, you are undoing it the right way? (Left hand thread on the driveside, so clockwise to undo). You can't use a blowtorch to get steel out of aluminium as the frame will give first!

If you are sticking with square taper and the BB you need to know the axle width to get a chainset compatible with that width, I could recommend one but it may well need a different width axle.

I think I need a SRAM S600 Chainset.

But I cant find a square taper with 9 speed.

All of the "power spline" ones say 8 or 9 speed. any I find with square taper say 8 speed!
  • The Rookie
    No real difference between 8 and 9 speed, and 8 speed crankset will work fine on a 9 speed setup.

Personally I'd be getting that old BB out though.