New brakes for my Hardrock

Thenovice
Thenovice Posts: 11
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking to get some new brakes for my Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2011, my current Avid BB5's aren't great and need constantly adjusting.

I have pretty much decided on going for the Shimano SLX M675 , unless someone has a drastically better/cheaper alternative.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx ... 58528.html

Im slightly confused with the whole IS/Post mount issue, i am unsure what (if any) bracket i am going to need. My current rotors I have aren't perfectly true, but i have 185mm and 160mm avid 6 bolt rotors a friend has given me. Would i be able to use these with the correct bracket?

Apologies if anything isn't quite clear, thanks in advance.

Comments

• You could get the Shimano Deore M596 brakes if you wanted to save a bit of cash.

As for fitting you can do it but you need to make sure you use the correct spacers in the right places. Think you can also get an adaptor for fitting Shimano brakes to Avid 185mm rotors (North Shore Billet if I remember correctly). The 160mm rotor will fit with the standard Shimano adapter.

Just google images of Post Mount and IS to see what you need.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New ones are M615, absolute bargain at £70 for both. Although the SLX are a superb deal as well. Cheaper than the M596 when they first came out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Doh, was meant to put M615's.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I did just this on my own 2011 Hardrock Sport Disk, albeit with the earlier 596 brakes. The regular Shimano IS-post adapter (that should come with the rear brake) will do for your 160mm disk at the back, and you need a post-post 185mm adapter for the front. The North Shore Billet item is a tiny little aluminium work of art that doesn't necessarily come with the right bolts, so get another pair of caliper bolts.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you can get XT's from on one for £80
  • You can only get a front - the backs are OOS. Still the best front brake you'll get for £40 - a complete bargain.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    you can get XT's from on one for £80
    Front only in stock though- I looked last night.
    Typically for On One they do have rear on a seperate listing for £65.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I know the XT's would be a better choice, but i would be looking at £130 for the set. Where as the SLX are £89 for the set, not sure it would be worth me spending the extra.

is the 185mm diameter rotor now obsolete? i cant seem to find a 185mm bracket, all seem to be 180mm.
  • Thenovice wrote:
    I know the XT's would be a better choice, but i would be looking at £130 for the set. Where as the SLX are £89 for the set, not sure it would be worth me spending the extra.

is the 185mm diameter rotor now obsolete? i cant seem to find a 185mm bracket, all seem to be 180mm.

Did you read the above? XT can be had for £105 a set from On One.
  • Thanks for the help, i ended up getting the XT's from chainreaction for £105.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good price!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • They have a £15 off when you spend £99 or more offer on at the moment, using the code 'AUTUMN' if anyone else is interested.