carbon winter bike?

clelanj
clelanj Posts: 68
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Wondering if I can get some expert opinion from the folks that ride through the winter, as I am looking to purchase a new bike for the purpose of keeping some fitness plus additional social rides through this time.

I had always been under the impression that a carbon bike was a no no for this time of year as the salt can get at it plus it doesn't bounce well if you do come off, which is more likely with icy roads.

However a couple of my mates are trying to pursued me otherwise, saying that carbon is better than aluminium for winter as it wont rust and obviously is lighter.

I ride a Specialized Roubaix SL4 in the summer and as a winter bike I'm looking at possibly:

Specialized Diverge (Aluminium) and fitting my own 105 10 speed groupset.
http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... /15diverge

Merida Disc 3000 (Carbon)
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Ride-Car ... tAodFV0ATQ

Bit at a loss at which way to go now so would value your thoughts regarding Aluminium or Carbon?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Aluminium won't rust either. I know a chap who rides a Colnago C50 all year round. Just keep on top of cleaning and you will not have any issue - much like any other bike.
  • I have been riding a Roubaix all year round. Carbon doesn't rust.

Crashing aluminium can be just as damaging.

So I bought a Diverge Carbon for this winter.
  • Nothing wrong with riding carbon in the winter.

Rode my best bike all year round till I purchased a dedicated winter bike.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • clelanj wrote:
    Wondering if I can get some expert opinion from the folks that ride through the winter,
    clelanj wrote:
    I had always been under the impression that a carbon bike was a no no for this time of year as the salt can get at it plus it doesn't bounce well if you do come off, which is more likely with icy roads.

Don't ride when its icy
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    I have been riding a Roubaix all year round. Carbon doesn't rust.

The Diverge Carbon looks really nice (although out of my price bracket).

Have you been out on it yet and what's the ride like in comparison to the Roubaix?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited September 2014
    There is the Tifosi CK2 that a carbon rim brake bike with mudguard eyelets. No many of those about. The Merida looks good though. My next winter bike is a Genesis Equilbrium disc - that a steel bike. You can buy them as frame an forks as well to spec it how you want.

The frame material is mostly irrelevent fi it a) fits you and b) specced how you need it to be. Foer me that's using Tektro Spyre brakes not the Mira one whatever they are.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • clelanj wrote:
    Dippydog3 wrote:

Have you been out on it yet and what's the ride like in comparison to the Roubaix?
    I will let you know. It arrives in the UK, allegedly in the first shipment, last week October.

Given the geometry I am expecting it to feel the same as the Roubaix. Apart from any differences resulting from the wheels that is.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Although carbon itself is highly resistant to corrosion, it can suffer from galvanic corrosion where it is in contact with other materials, especially aluminium. This can be a real problem for some frames with an aluminium BB shell bonded in along with the typical lack of drainage hole. Aluminium seatposts are also more likely to become stuck.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This is my carbon Ribble after a January tidy up this year. At the time probably on about 18,000 miles most of which are daily commutes throughout the year. Most of the equipment is original too. I think carbon is up to the job....
    P1000442ed_zps8d8f156d.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Use the roubaix for the winter bike and buy a Tarmac for summer ;)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Carbon is fine for winter - its the components that you need to watch if theres been any grit on the road. It'll eat your shiny finish in a few days if not washed off.

I'd not spend a huge amount of money on a winter bike - just as you're more prone to damage it when its slippier out.
    I'd not be bothered about weight savings on the frame either - the extra layers that you need to wear to keep warm probably cancel that out - and do you want an easy ride in the winter ? A slightly chunkier bike will make you work a bit harder and you'll notice the difference when you get the best bike out. Well for the first 20 mins or whatever...

So something thats not expensive, with full guards and clearance for decent tyres - thats what a winter bike should be to me.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    buy a new best bike and downgrade one of your older ones to a winter bike - simples !
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Mr Evil wrote:
    Although carbon itself is highly resistant to corrosion, it can suffer from galvanic corrosion where it is in contact with other materials, especially aluminium. This can be a real problem for some frames with an aluminium BB shell bonded in along with the typical lack of drainage hole. Aluminium seatposts are also more likely to become stuck.

This has no implications for winter bike usage.....
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    I ride a Dolan Dual (carbon frame and fork with proper mudguard fitting).
    http://cdn4.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp ... e/7279.jpg

It shares winter duties with my Genesis Equilibrium 20.

I also have a Spesh Roubaix Expert which I ride in the summer.

To be frank, I now only ride the Roubaix on longer rides +40 miles and sportives. It is 32 months old, and in the last year its been used exactly 3 times on 60 something mile sportives.

I tend to just use both winter bikes all year round. And the ride of the Dolan is even sportier than the Roubaix (slightly lower head-tube and shorter chain-stays).
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    tonye_n wrote:
    Mr Evil wrote:

This has no implications for winter bike usage.....
    Sorry if I didn't provide enough information to make it clear how it applies: Galvanic corrosion occurs in the presence of an electolyte. Salt water is a very good electrolyte, and is frequently encountered during the winter due to all the rain and the council gritting the roads. It will get sprayed all over the bike as you ride. Certain parts of the bike get sprayed more than others (seatpost), and some parts tend to collect water (BB). The combination of carbon+aluminium is especially vulnerable to this. In extreme cases, aluminium parts can literally disintegrate in a surprisingly short period of time.

It is therefore a good idea to install mudguards, drain the BB after riding in the rain (or drill a drainage hole in it), grease vulnerable parts liberally, and disassemble those parts at least once a year.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    clelanj wrote:
    Dippydog3 wrote:

I will let you know. It arrives in the UK, allegedly in the first shipment, last week October.

Given the geometry I am expecting it to feel the same as the Roubaix. Apart from any differences resulting from the wheels that is.

Big surprise. Seems Specialized are really bad at estimating shipment dates. :lol:
    LBS called yesterday and the bike has arrived!
    I asked if I could have it unbuilt but they were worried I might put the wheels on the wrong ends, hurt myself and then sue them. So I have to wait till Monday to ride it.