The Difference Between a Millionaire and a Billionaire

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
I heard this brilliant analogy on Richard Bacon's Radio 5 Live show this afternoon, on how to explain the difference between a millionaire to that of a billionaire. Convert the pounds into seconds.

A millionaire is 12 days

A billionaire is 32 years
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Who wants to be a hundredaire ?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    [jaunty old tune] I do [/jaunty old tune]
  • The millionaire wants to talk to the billionaire, but the billionaire doesn't talk to poor people
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Mike Healey

An Elder Statesman of the forum.
    The Father of the House?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Anyone can become a millionaire without backbreaking effort.
    Becoming a billionaire requires incredibly hard work, dedication and luck.
    Living MY dream.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    its nothing really, actually three nothings: 000.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    florerider wrote:
    its nothing really, actually three nothings: 000.

or six, for a proper billionaire!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    The rich list:
    http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/#tab:overall

Apart from the obvious ones, e.g. Gates, Zuckerberg, I was surprised how few names I even recognised.
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    Lots of new names on the rich list these days and not many are famous. Perhaps the perfect lifestyle - all the money but none of the hassle (assuming you step away from how you have made billions)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    snowley wrote:
    Lots of new names on the rich list these days and not many are famous. Perhaps the perfect lifestyle - all the money but none of the hassle (assuming you step away from how you have made billions)

Very few at that level can step away - they truly are wired differently to the vast majority of us and whilst they may explore other avenues, they will not step away from their core business.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Don't know, ask Tesco :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I've got about £300 in my account. Who can I speak to?
  • mr_goo
    VTech wrote:

And no doubt being a completely heartless, aggressive b4st4rd who doesn't mind destroying other people to get to the top of the pile.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

And no doubt being a completely heartless, aggressive b4st4rd who doesn't mind destroying other people to get to the top of the pile.

I think you're right. There are many who will walk over people for the sake of money. Being a small business owner I should have that too, but I just can't do it.
  • mr_goo
    Joelsim wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I think you're right. There are many who will walk over people for the sake of money. Being a small business owner I should have that too, but I just can't do it.

I have seen the same attitude I highlighted within the realms of middle and senior management. They have no chance of being millionaires yet would stab you in the back to advance themselves or save their hides.
    I used to work for the UK division of a Dutch multi-national, and the MD was a complete c**t. One of his board members confided in me once, that the MD would sell his own mother for a fiver. He took over this UK operation which was the most profitable division in the whole of Europe and managed to turn it into the worst performing in 5 years. He deserted and ended up being the world wide CEO of another big industrial. Failure is rewarded at that level.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Trick is to get MD in the first place ;).

Over a certain (small) number of millions, you can buy more or less anything you'd actually want or need in life.
    That pad in London, that car & boat.

Beyond that the number is like a high score function for real world business.
  • VTech
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I would say you are correct. You simply can't obtain masses of riches without crossing people.
    Unless you are heartless you simply can't even begin to get to that level.

I also now know that it is also the expected thing within huge corporations, you are always looking over your shoulder because someone younger and quicker is always on the lookout for your job, its a realm that wouldn't suit me because I dislike the "behind the back" way of life but people thrive on it. I used to hate people like this but they are needed just as much as the lowest paid worker in a business who cleans the bins out. Its these people who push bounderies that make the world a better place overall as more gets achieved, we just have to accept that casualties will occur along the way :?
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    VTech wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I would say you are correct. You simply can't obtain masses of riches without crossing people.

I also now know that it is also the expected thing within huge corporations, you are always looking over your shoulder because someone younger and quicker is always on the lookout for your job, its a realm that wouldn't suit me because I dislike the "behind the back" way of life but people thrive on it. I used to hate people like this but they are needed just as much as the lowest paid worker in a business who cleans the bins out. Its these people who push bounderies that make the world a better place overall as more gets achieved, we just have to accept that casualties will occur along the way :?

Just so long as the casualty is in that upper echelon of wealth.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It's pretty easy to make a millionaire out of a billionaire. :roll:
  • VTech wrote:
    how did you make your million?
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Just so long as the casualty is in that upper echelon of wealth.

Nice idea, but as you already know the casualties always come from the bottom end unless a rare public example is called for.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Trying to become rich only gets in the way of riding your bike, though.
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

I got made redundant in my mid 20's and took a risk.
    Living MY dream.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I need to go for a dump...
  • VTech
    RideOnTime wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:

@ozzzyosborn206, take a read here: http://www.secretentourage.com its easy to snipe at business like RideOnTime has but its a bit like the bullies at school who are now breaking their backs loading bricks on a site or working minimum wage at a store whereas the geeks are now their bosses. Or taking the mick out of those who took risks yet moan daily about how unfair life is.

My honest opinion to anyone is to take the odd risk, don't over invest and never follow others.
    After all, if you follow others how can you ever expect to become any different ?
    Living MY dream.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    difficult to compare a millionaire self employed person with an employee due to pensions. If pensions are valued as assets. then large sections of the population are millionaires, but it is only those who provide it for themselves who get formally classed as so.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    VTech wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:

@ozzzyosborn206, take a read here: http://www.secretentourage.com its easy to snipe at business like RideOnTime has but its a bit like the bullies at school who are now breaking their backs loading bricks on a site or working minimum wage at a store whereas the geeks are now their bosses. Or taking the mick out of those who took risks yet moan daily about how unfair life is.

My honest opinion to anyone is to take the odd risk, don't over invest and never follow others.
    After all, if you follow others how can you ever expect to become any different ?

You should write a book
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:

You should write a book

I don't have time. Nor the inclination really.
    Who would want to read it anyway. Most disagree with me which although I find odd at times, it's a fact that if people did agree with me I would most certainly be doing the same as them and I wouldn't want that.
    Following others and once your dead there is nothing to remember you for.
    Living MY dream.