Fixed gear commuting

andrewc3142
andrewc3142 Posts: 906
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
Didn't see this as a realistic option for my commute of almost 50k into London.

But last week gave it a try as a Friday kind of thing and it worked really well. Rode in, trained it back.

A bit slower than the road bike, but not by much, more relaxed and a better work-out.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Its good fun, thats a long commute one way! I happily fix it 20 miles each way.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Is there any other kind of commuting?
  • Longish one way, but I doubt I'll do the ride home again until spring. Too much dark and cold - mornings are different. In any case it's good to see the kids before they sleep.

Aside from anything else, a fixed for commuting neatly eliminates a lot of the questions on here. Not least those looking for a quality bike for around the £500 mark.
  • Having overtaken a fixed gear guy who was grinding up Broomfield Hill in Richmond Park yesterday evening, I realise that it wouldn't work for me. He was having to zig zag all over the road to get up it!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Depends how good a rider you are and what gearing you opt for. Broomfield is a tough but quick mash up, think my PR is fixed or its very close.
  • Short sharp climbs on fixed are easier than you might think, mainly because of not having the weight of the gears, shifters, etc. Broomfield is fine unless you have a silly gear.

Quite a few people still use fixed for hill climb TTs.

Coming down can be more of a challenge.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Short sharp climbs on fixed are easier than you might think, mainly because of not having the weight of the gears, shifters, etc. Broomfield is fine unless you have a silly gear.

Quite a few people still use fixed for hill climb TTs.

Coming down can be more of a challenge.
    Also not having the option of gearing down forces one to man up to compensate.

Unless the hill is too long and too steep, in which case I fail (/pull over to the side to check for a potential puncture that could explain things).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Saw a guy on a fixie today...

What do you do if you have a fixie/ single speed and you the p ** fairy visits you? Is its easier to change the tyre and inner tube on these bikes/ for the rear wheel...do you need to break the chain?
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Saw a guy on a fixie today...

What do you do if you have a fixie/ single speed and you the p ** fairy visits you? Is its easier to change the tyre and inner tube on these bikes/ for the rear wheel...do you need to break the chain?
    Same as if you're not fixed. Loosen off the bolt, flick the chain off and take the wheel out.
    Really is no different, assuming you have a spanner handy.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Thanks for that!

Now I know! 8)
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10