New bike - Felt or cinelli

Cyclebot
Cyclebot Posts: 6
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hiya

After many years of commuting on a Trek FX 7.0 and using it for longer rides, I've decided it's time to buy my first road bike. I've narrowed my choice down to two - The Cinelli Experience Veloce or the Felt Z85 105.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-experience-veloce-2014/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z85-105-2014/

I really like the Cinelli, but I'm unsure about the Veloce components. Are they as good as the 105 groupset on the 105? I'd be using it for commutung and longer rides.

I'm new to road bikes so any advice would be gratefully received regarding this question or any other issues.

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Veloce and 105 are similar in 'quality'. The Miche cost-saving chainset on the Cinelli is OK and maybe easier to service then if it were a 'proper' Veloce chainset.

If it were me, the Cinelli would win hands down.
  • Thanks g00se

I'm steering towards the Cinelli. A local bike mechanic said that it may be harder for to get the Cinelli service as the Veloce parts may be harder to get. Not sure if this is true though as there seems lots of components on Wiggle.

Happy to hear other thoughts
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Campag bits are easy to get, don't worry. If a mechanic says it's harder to service, then they're not that experienced :) The only tricky thing can be the bottom bracket on a Veloce group - but that one has Miche so it's OK.
  • Looks like Cinelli is the way to go. Thanks... :D
  • Don't get too hung up on components. Even the lowest end ones are generally very usable. It's nice to have better parts but it's vanity more than anything else that fuels the 'don't go lower than 105' nonsense you'll often read in places like this. Besides, why would you bother with Shimano anyway? ;)
  • Thanks for this Simon. I really need to give one a test ride as hear the veloce gears work very differently to shimano.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Cyclebot wrote:
    Thanks for this Simon. I really need to give one a test ride as hear the veloce gears work very differently to shimano.

I went from a Sora equipped Cannondale to a Veloce (and Miche) Cinelli Saetta. Veloce gears are more 'mechanical' than Shimano, there's a more distinct 'clunk' to the shifts, and the levers use a button and paddle rather than Shimano's brake lever and paddle arrangement. The Campag button is well positioned so you can use it from the drops.

I'm sure both are fine, just a matter of getting used to it.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I 'upgraded' from my veloce Experience to a Ribble Stealth. I've gone back to using my Experience of late and absolutely love it.

Would definitely recommend it.
  • Thanks everyone - Cinelli mow ordered :)