Garmin 705 help

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited September 2014 in Road general
Used garmin 705 for the first time this morning. I had created a route via garmin connect and uploaded found it under training, courses menu of the 705.

It has a thicker purple line to show the route, however I was hoping it was going to light up before a turn or show arrow to indicate turn is coming and direction having to watch the line is very distracting.

Did I do something wrong or should I use a different application to create the routes.

Any help appreciated.

PS- also need to get an out front mount the stem mount again did not feel good.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    When you plot the route you usually get the option to add warnings...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jpower
    Do you need to plot turn by turn for this option, I plotted huge chucks in one go.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you use something like BikeHike it does it for you as you plot big chunks
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • You dont load the file as a training course. Go to menu press whereto? then saved rides and pick your saved route. You will then get turn by turn directions/warnings.

I use ridewithgps.com free version to create my routes, works flawlessly with 705.
  • jpower
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    You dont load the file as a training course. Go to menu press whereto? then saved rides and pick your saved route. You will then get turn by turn directions/warnings.

I use ridewithgps.com free version to create my routes, works flawlessly with 705.
    Checked nothing in saved rides. To get it in saved rides, do I not need to export the course then copy that to the SD?
  • jpower
    After a google search, seen other have found the same. Seems creating course with ridewithgps and then copying the file to 705 seems popular and gives turn by turn, anyone can vouch for that? And it is simple as creating the course or you have to something special for every turn like waypoints?
  • jpower wrote:
    After a google search, seen other have found the same. Seems creating course with ridewithgps and then copying the file to 705 seems popular and gives turn by turn, anyone can vouch for that? And it is simple as creating the course or you have to something special for every turn like waypoints?

Read this page for very explicit instructions.

http://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-edge-605-and-705
  • jpower
    Perfect thank you, just done a small test route, was displaying as I would have hoped, was a little confusing, but will test it out on my normal route tomorrow, maybe just needs get using too.
  • jpower
    Lovely done my usual route today and the navigation worked as expected with turn by turn and ride with GPS was very easy to use.

Two more niggles though:

When the data was loaded to strava and map my fitness both have odd figures.

Strava - is showing the total time as moving time and the moving time something over 23 hours
    Map my fitness - showing the right time but the average speed looks like it was calculated on the total time and not the ride time.

Guessing others must have seen this, is it expected behaviour or I have done something wrong?