Bike size.

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Just got a defy 2 2014, took it for its first spin today, size wise, I got a m/l size, the mediums upper limit is 5'9", with the large starting at 5'9", I went and tried it at the chaps house who I bought it off, and he flipped the stem, and lowered the seat for me, which has brought things closer together. My ride today was fine, only 17 miles, but my main question is, is there any tell tale signs that the bike is to big for me, by this I mean aches and pains not previously experienced after a ride. I have pains in my lower back, and whilst on the ride , had pins and needles in my right leg and foot for a while. Oh and by the way I'm 5'9", with a 31 inseam.

Any thought appreciated.

Regards
Tony.

Comments

• 5'11" 31" inside leg and I ride a M as M/L was too stretched out for me. For me a short body but long arms and femurs meant that a M/L didn't work.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Have a read of this, viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12882623
    It may be to big for you.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Looks like you need an M going by Giants website. Make normal allowances for relative body size / proportions.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backoffi ... e_size.pdf
  • Thanks everyone,

My backs really hurting today, oh well learnt a lesson,when the person selling the bike says, 'yea that should be ok', and also thinking to yourself, ' yea I like this bike, it will be fine'....

Never mind, I now have a defy 2 2014, to sell, swap, before I do myself any more damage.

Thanks all,advice appreciated.

Tony.
  • I recently got a caad8 and the website said that a 54 would fit me fine, i am 5'8... I was going to buy it without looking but im glad a tried it on as it was too big for me so i got the size down.

It always pays not to rush into these things.