Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Mega G3 Clincher Wheelset

peddlingmadness
peddlingmadness Posts: 151
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Currently have Mavic Aksium S wheelset on my cannondale. (came with the bike)

I want to upgrade to Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Mega G3 Clincher Wheelset.

My question is how much noticeable difference will this make to my ride..? reading some reviews it seems a hell of a lot. Has anyone experience with this wheelset? will I notice the difference or is it just a placebo effect of having nice shiny new wheels?

Thanks!

Comments

• My question is how much noticeable difference will this make to my ride..? !

Probably none
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It will make your bike cost about 6-700 quid more.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • The shamal wheels are alot stiffer though. They may notice that. Well you won't notice as such but you will feel the wheels being more repsonsive. That in part will be down to less flex. It does however only make a marginal difference. The shamals are likely to be a bit more aerodynamic too. So overall a little better in every area apart from cost. It makes some difference to racers but for club runs and such not so much.

Your wallet will be £600 lighter though and that means you won't be able to afford the cafe stop which will in turn improve the average speed of your rides, there you go that the difference it will make, it's a real one.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Well the shamals will be 400g lighter, stiffer and a little bit more aerodynamic. The difference is marginal important for road races but for club runs and the like not so much.

Your wheels will empty your wallet enough to make you think about the cafe stop though which in turn will improve your average speed and thats a real gain. Joking aside it really does depend on what you want the wheels for. I do think you can spend half that and get something which is a improvement on the askiums but it probably only worth doing that once you have killed of the mavics.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The shamal wheels are alot stiffer though. They may notice that. Well you won't notice as such but you will feel the wheels being more repsonsive. That in part will be down to less flex. It does however only make a marginal difference. The shamals are likely to be a bit more aerodynamic too. So overall a little better in every area apart from cost. It makes some difference to racers but for club runs and such not so much.

Your wallet will be £600 lighter though and that means you won't be able to afford the cafe stop which will in turn improve the average speed of your rides, there you go that the difference it will make, it's a real one.
    Well the shamals will be 400g lighter, stiffer and a little bit more aerodynamic. The difference is marginal important for road races but for club runs and the like not so much.

Your wheels will empty your wallet enough to make you think about the cafe stop though which in turn will improve your average speed and thats a real gain. Joking aside it really does depend on what you want the wheels for. I do think you can spend half that and get something which is a improvement on the askiums but it probably only worth doing that once you have killed of the mavics.

Wha?! Do you have two different people posting? :shock: :D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I went from khamsin wheels to Shamals, and felt a noticeable difference. Stiffness is much improved, the wheels hold speed better on descents and in turn they do seem to transmit more buzz than the Khamsins.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • I thought one post was lost due to a gateway error so I wrote it again then both appear!

As for transmitting more buzz I assume you are using the same tyres and pressures because if you are not that would account for the buzz. If you are try dropping the tyre pressues a bit.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I went from Fulcrum Racing 3's to Shamals - the difference is staggering - greater still from the Mavics - the Shamal , especially with the CULT hubs are possibly the best wheel for the money before you have to dig deep and go carbon
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Oh come on people yes he will feel the difference between Aksiums and shamals. The weight difference is significant, I know I'd feel it. I know it's the done thing to discourage reckless spending but you're just urinating on his french fries here.
  • "I know it's the done thing to discourage reckless spending but you're just urinating on his french fries here."
    Thanks Flesh! That's me even more off the Maccie D's from now on. I knew if I asked such an unbiased crowd I'd get the answer I was hoping for.
  • Of course the wheels will feel lighter everyone will feel that but it does not translate to extra speed. Any speed improvement will done to improved power transfer and aerodynamics and those improvement will be small i.e useful for road racers. That is the point we have made. If you want the feel of a racing wheel then fine buy them and enjoy them but just don't expect them to make you 2mph faster.