Tyres

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know whether pros train on tubulars or clinchers? Just out of interest.

I gather if they train on clinchers it might be a different feeling for them. I mean training without their team, their own individual training. I say this as I brought Campagnolo Ultra Bora Two Tubular wheelset and for me I noticied straight away after riding clinchers for 10 years, how nice and better tubulars are to ride with great comfort. A pity I can only use these for racing, I fear a puncture on tubulars riding in the countryside makes it an expensive habit and a pain in the as.....

Comments

• Clinchers most likely.

The secret pro wrote that pros don't do the best job of looking after training bikes so I can't imagine they'd fancy the extra hassle of tubs either.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Pros get given whatever they want so most likely it will be the tyres they race on. Therefore more often than not I would say tubs.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Watching the latest vid on GCN, ex-pro Daniel LLoyd says that the majority of pros just train on bog-standard shallow section rims using clincher tyres.
  • Clinchers are cheaper than tubs which is why tubs are a bit niche but tubular tyres exist for winter riding for example the conti gatorskin tub. I have a set of these and they a fair bit more comfotable than the clincher version, the gator skin is one of the few tyres I can ride in winter without puncturing every five minutes. So I want to use gator skin tubs this winter which mean I must build those wheels.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Bit of a myth you can't run tubulars all year. The only reason not would be rim and hub wear rather than cost of tyres.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles