Knee Shin Guards

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

I wont to get so knee shin guards, I bought some 661 Kyle Strait knee guards, the left is real comfortable and the right isn't, I've also been using my old Axo MX guards which are comfortable but move about a bit.

What I'm after getting is something that will protect knee shin area and I can wear all the time ( as you never know when your going to need them ) so not to hot or bulky, but the main thing would be comfort so I make sure I put them on, don't know if it's old age or being lazy I seem to get to the bottom of a run and think I really should of had my pads on going down there :shock:

Comments

• Troy Lee.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Troy Lee.

Thank you for the reply would that be the Method ones ?
  • Not entirely sure which ones but a friend of mine just bought some lightweight Troy Lee knee/shin guards and they looked great and he said they were very comfortable.

They might have been these but I can't swear to it...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy ... -prod59944
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,713
    What's your budget?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    What's your budget?

No particular budget in mind really.
  • Troy Lee or Alpinestars for knee and shin or Nukeproof for knee only.
  • Troy Lee or Alpinestars for knee and shin or Nukeproof for knee only.

Thank you for the reply, the reason I was thinking of knee and shin guards was I have seen so many people who have had a pedal up there shin I really don't fancy it my self :(
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Take a look at the Raceface Ambush knee pads. They're the comfiest knee pads I've ever worn because they really do mould to your knee thanks to the D3O construction. Most D3O knee pads are pretty expensive but the Raceface aren't too badly priced. I've used and own Kyle Straits, Dig's, some old 661 Knee/Shin things and of course the Ambush's.

The Ambush pads have the bonus of having an open back so you don't need to remove your shoes to put them on or take them off which is ideal if you want to keep them in your bag. I've taken some pretty hard knocks wearing my Dig's (same design but use a hard shell instead of the D3O) and they've never come undone or slipped or anything. If you want a Knee/Shin pad then they also do a version of the Ambush with a shin guard called the Flank.
  • iwilldoit wrote:
    Troy Lee or Alpinestars for knee and shin or Nukeproof for knee only.

Thank you for the reply, the reason I was thinking of knee and shin guards was I have seen so many people who have had a pedal up there shin I really don't fancy it my self :(

I haven't smashed a pedal in to my shin in years. Keep your feet on the pedals and it's fine.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,713
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What's your budget?

No particular budget in mind really.
    A mate of mine swears by his IXS Cleavers - not cheap but he loves them. I've just bought a pair on the back of his feedback but not had a chance to do anything other than try them on in the house - comfortable, compact and don't seem to slip so far.

My old 661 comps are comfortable and protective but are quite bulky and can slip down a bit.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I haven't smashed a pedal in to my shin in years. Keep your feet on the pedals and it's fine.

That is my aim :D

Talking to some one at Coed Y Brenin on Saturday afternoon he said he had been trying to stop his bike with his knees, it looked rather un pleasant :shock:
  • iwilldoit wrote:
    Troy Lee or Alpinestars for knee and shin or Nukeproof for knee only.

I haven't smashed a pedal in to my shin in years. Keep your feet on the pedals and it's fine.

My shins are constantly pin ravaged.
  • Use SPD's and your shins will be unmarked.
    Even when I did use flats I don't remember cutting my shins that often.