29er forks and rear wheel build

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
It appears that my standard forks are worn (possibly part cause of my crash) and need replacing. They are the standard suntour forks that were fitted from new. I think the spring has gone and doesn't absorb or rebound properly.

My bike is a trek xcalibur 7 2014 model

I also think the back wheel is flexing. By this i mean when i turn/lean etc it feels unstable in a physical way as opposed to a slipping tyre kind of way. I am thinking of welding the the spokes where they cross. In theback of mind I am wondering wether this will weaken the spokes and cause a catastrophic component failure.

Any suggestions for replacement forks and a cure for the wheel issue?
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DO NOT WELD THE SPOKES! That would be incredably foolish. Have you checked the tyre pressures? An under inflated tyre will feel 'loose'.

As for the fork, a strip, clean, regrease and rebuild can work wonders.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Forks - depends on your budget.

Wheel - work out what's wrong - spokes lost tension, hub loose (cones), bearings gone, whatever, and fix that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The tyre pressures are good and the hub/bearings/spokes are all tight and good. That's what leads me to believe the rim is flexing under a side load pressure.

(Lampard just scored on his debut against Chelsea :D )

As for the forks they are, in my opinion, budget suntour forks and they are a tad heavy. Which really makes me want to buy an upgrade rather than repair and only get another 9 months out of them
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    May want to avoid putting random spoilers in for anyone who's browsing Bike Radar rather than watching the football...

Tying and soldering spokes was something done on DH and track bikes in the 90s. Then it was realised that it made no difference whatsoever.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the wheel is flexing like you think the spokes are very low on tension.....the forces the spokes create are huge.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But you don't cure that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ by welding spoke together.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And actually once spokes are adequately tight you don't make a wheel stiffer by adding tension. Common misconception.