new to cycling please help with starters kit...

retry
retry Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
hi every one,
just bought a new road bike to commute when no rain :)
so after reading a lot o reviews i bought Giant defy 1 2014 because they was on sale for 699 .. i think that really good price for this bike..
Thus, i need help now with my essentials before i go on the road.
what i need ? my thoughts : front - back lights, spare tube with lifters for tyre,pump, lock.
maybe any advise? with pump to buy, to make sure there is pressure meter build in, what tube is better ? maybe something else that i missed ?

please advise me with store are cheapest for cycling accessories ...

Thank you !!

Comments

• Why commute only in the dry?
    The best bit of kit i bought last year was mudguards.

Geoff
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Shower jacket which you can roll into a small ball
    Multi-tool for any on the road mechanicals
    Waterbottle and cage
    Helmet
    Extra lights if you're commuting
    Puncture repair kit
    Chain lube
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2014
    Some things you should carry at all times.

1. Mini tool kit + Chain tool
    2. Spare quick links
    3. Tyres levers
    4. Spoke key
    5. Inners tubes - £1.99 each at Planet X.
    4. Puncture repair kit + quick repair patches.
    5. Mini pump
    6. Tyre boots - incase you cut a hole in the sidewall or tread of your tyres. i use an old tyre that i cut into pieces or two layers of old inner tube.
    7. Spare gear hanger (specific to your bike frame)

Theres some great bargains on planet x so have a look
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/accessorie ... =price-asc
  • For commuting, fenders (mud guards) are very good. Also you'll probably need a very light weight backpack and a waterproof inner sack to carry work clothing. The backpack I used was a simple nylon sack with shoulder straps, inner sack had a waterproof coating.
    Leave items such as belts, shoes, etc. at work instead of carrying them each day.
    .... I also kept an extra set of underwear and socks at work, in case I forgot to pack them!

Yes, get a helmet, and a 'rearview mirror' of some type - I use one that clips onto the helmet.

When buying tires (and inner tubes) for commuting, durability and good traction should be the main concerns.

When commuting, ride with 'survival' as the primary concern! Don't put yourself in dangerous situations such as 'pinch points' on narrow roads. And make sure to stay away from the 'blind zone' where drivers cannot see you - such as near the passenger side rear wheel.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • taak you much for your comment and advise.. can i ask you one more thing.. when you got puncture and you got spare tube on you.. what for you need puncture repair kit?? and chain links ? is chain often breaks ?
  • Getting a puncture does not preclude you from getting another one - it's not conditional probability. In other words you may not get a puncture for a year, then get one, use your inner tube and then go another mile and get another one. That is where the puncture repair kit comes in handy....
  • trailflow
    edited September 2014
    The repair kit is for extra back up. They are so small, lightweight and inexpensive you may as well carry them. You can puncture more than once on a ride. Its not impossible. i carry 2 tubes at all times plus a repair kit.

Your chain will not break often, at least it shouldnt. You might ride for years without breaking one, but if its a bad day and it does break for whatever reason (like a bad shift,worn out chain, or the gear hanger snaps etc) you will be able to rejoin it, and make it back home or help another stranded cyclist.

Something to know. If your chain is a KMC or Sram then you will need to use a spare quick link. KMC or Sram chains use differently designed pins than Shimano. So they cannot be rejoined using the same pin like a Shimano chain. To fix them you remove the broken link fully then rejoin with a quick link. Lots of video's on this on youtube.

Also spare chain quick links are size specific to your chain (like 8 ,9 ,10,11 speed,) So make sure you get the right ones if you need them.
  • You don't need much. Carry a puncture kit if you want, but you should not need it. 1 (max 2) spare tube should be enough. If you are getting lots of punctures on your rides then you're very possibly failing either to avoid the things that cause them, or remove sharps from your tyre; or you've chosen unsuitable tyres. Chain tool and quick link (if needed) are things you hopefully won't need very often, but will allow you to get home.

And don't carry tools for repairs you won't make. Many multi tools have functions that many won't use, and even if you're confident truing wheels, if you have modern factory wheels with virtually no spokes in a silly pattern, it may not make much difference if you do have a spoke key with you.
  • how can i understand what type of chain is on my bike ? i think it should be shimano .. but i'm not sure on 100 % bike is giant defy 1 2014 ...
  • trailflow
    Look very closely at the links.

If you have this bike , then its a KMC X10 (10 speed)
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications
  • ybang the same one.. ok thanks every one for helping me out!!
  • Mostly clothing, but a few other bits at rock bottom prices.

I have the tool kit, which is okay for starters...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... september/

Plus Halfords are doing their inner tubes in handy vacuum packed plastic wrapping, so easy to store in a pocket or (God forbid!) a saddle bag. Plus, the more you buy the cheaper they are, although they can't compete with the £1.99 that PX are doing them for.