Phone unlocking sites

wishitwasallflat
wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
I need to unlock a Nokia 515 from Virgin Mobile, plenty websites that say they will send you the unlock code and instructions if you send them the IMEI. Anyone used a particular site and could reccomend it? Are any of the free ones ok? Is it wiser to take it into one of those independent mobile shops?

Advice and shared experience much appreciated folks.

Comments

• Have you tried asking Virgin?
    I'm sure I read that they have to unlock it if you ask, once the contract is up (though they may charge)
    Failing that, a mate of mine has a shop in Darlo.
    SIMLESS U K in Eastmount Rd
    Might be worth asking if he's near you
  • Cheers Andy no way would I give Virgin another penny - I'm raging furious with them. They sold me phones and monthy contracts for me and my wife - we were very happy with them. Then ten days later Virgin said we weren't eligible for those contracts and we had to cancel or get seriously downgraded! So I'm back on the old PAYG with them that I was before but want away from them ASAP. Will probably go to your mates shop as I'm only 6 miles or so outside Darlo unless someone knows how/ where I can get the code online and do it myself.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I had a very broken iphone 4S that was my only option for a phone. I took it to a dodgy as you like shop in tooting and they replaced both the battery and the headphone jack for less than 50 squids (Apple wanted a billion gazillion pounds or something stupid). All of them do unlocking too

There must be somewhere in Darling that can do the same thing.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Cheers dd there are loads just always prefer one recommended than picking at random. Better still if I could get the code and DIYit.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    I used MobileUnlocked to unlock my phone, only cost a few quid and the code arrived in a few minutes, found them on giffgaff, Giffgaff offer useful advice, if your phone can be unlocked for free then they will say.
  • Thanks Cygnus checked Giffgaff as I think I will move to them one unlocked and it seems it can't be done for free but shops want £20 so that site looks way cheaper. Didn't want pick a site at random so thanks for the recommendation.

Bollooks just checked and my phone is priced as from £28.99! Look like in store is best option.