Simoncini Falck Steel Frame ATB / MTB / tourer build

tangoromeo
tangoromeo Posts: 4
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I have had this Simoncini frameset for a while trying to decide what to do with it. I think it dates from the late 1980s judging by the type of tubing but any information about the frame and what components might originally have been fitted would be greatly appreciated. Apart from the decals the only markings I can see are 47 stamped on the bottom bracket ( ? seat tube length ) and 7 stamped on the steerer.

My inclination at the moment is to build it as a touring / light off-road (unsurfaced bike tracks) bike with drop handlebars. I have collected Campagnolo NOS Euclid and Centaur components manufactured around 1990 and have had a pair of 26" wheels built with Campag Mirox rims on the Centaur hubs. Again, any advice on this type of build, particularly using drop handlebar brake levers with cantilever U brakes, would be greatly appreciated.

As you can see from the photos the frame has not been cleaned up yet. There are plenty of paint chips but no dents and no rust, probably as a result of the nickel coating. I am not inclined at this stage to have the frame re-painted / re-chromed at what would probably be quite a high cost as I am not sure it would be worthwhile and I don't dislike the colour scheme.

Anyway, look forward to any comments, suggestions and advice.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would guess late 80s/early 90s MTB - any later and sloping toptubes and earlier would have had god-awful U-brakes. Euclid/Centaur would be right-on period-wise. No problem using cantis and drop-bar levers, it wasn't until vee-brakes where cable-pull ratios changed between road and MTB. You'll probably get a more informed response on Retrobike forum.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the response. I have posted on another forum and butterfly bars have been recommended which is an interesting suggestion but my preference remains with the drops and it is reassuring to know that the levers will work with the brakes.

I will try Retrobike as you suggest - thanks.
  • Ask Cycles Clements in Ledbury. They were importers I think
  • More info on this bike!

Back in the day, I had a bike that used this exact frame. These frames were built early/mid 1989 - that is a definite. They were only ever frames - not a complete bike, so there was never any 'standard' set up. Long time ago, now, but mine definitely had full Shimano shift gear, with 'state of the art' shifters with little windows in them. Shimano cranks, too. Possibly might have had Araya rims, but definitely not 100% sure on that.

Loved this frame at the time, so I can't tell you how great it is to see it again 20+ years later. Any more info I can give you, please ask. (and needless to say, if you want to sell, message me)

Best wishes.
  • More info on this bike!

Back in the day, I had a bike that used this exact frame. These frames were built early/mid 1989 - that is a definite. They were only ever frames - not a complete bike, so there was never any 'standard' set up. Long time ago, now, but mine definitely had full Shimano shift gear, with 'state of the art' shifters with little windows in them. Shimano cranks, too. Possibly might have had Araya rims, but definitely not 100% sure on that.

Loved this frame at the time, so I can't tell you how great it is to see it again 20+ years later. Any more info I can give you, please ask. (and needless to say, if you want to sell, message me)

Best wishes.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply so long after my original post. It is great to finally have some definite information about the frame. I have almost finished the build using the Campag components and although I haven't yet been able to go out for a proper ride, I like the feel of the bike. Unfortunately I had to have a new steerer fitted as the existing one was not long enough when the new headset was fitted so I have lost the paintwork on the front forks although the chrome remains.

Hopefully I will be able to post pictures of the bike when completed in the not too distant future.

Thanks again for the post.