Kraken 2015/Hoodoo/13 - Help!

JayX2A
JayX2A Posts: 113
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Quick background... I won some Halfords vouchers and bought a Carrera Fury (last years model) which was the last one on store. In my excitement in picking it up I didn't check it over and when I got home there were a couple of dents, a bolt had snapped on the gear shifter and the brakes were leaking.

Spoke to manager who was very apologetic and said I could exchange for another bike. As the old fury is no longer there, I have been looking at the following:

Kraken 2015 which is now rolling in 650b form.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -bike-2015
Voodoo Hoodoo
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... in-bike-18
13 Incline Alpha which I have never heard of but looks pretty decent spec
Kona Fire 650b

Any views on any of the above?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It helps to provide links, save everyone searching.
    I can't find an Incline Alpha on the website (search doesn't work on an iPad!), but the Hoodoo has the best forks of the other three, equal best brakes and decent drivetrain, so of those three it would be the Hoodoo for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JayX2A
    The Rookie wrote:
    It helps to provide links, save everyone searching.
    I can't find an Incline Alpha on the website (search doesn't work on an iPad!), but the Hoodoo has the best forks of the other three, equal best brakes and decent drivetrain, so of those three it would be the Hoodoo for me.

Links added! I think Alpha has the best fork, but not brakes and not sure about drive train. Odd looking frame in pics, but maybe it looks better and stronger in real life.

Always wanted a Kraken, but mainly because I like the looks! Not the ideal way I buy a bike!
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The forks on the alpha should be slightly better, not sure it's worth the extra over the hoodoo though, the hoodoo is a good bike, just bought one myself as a second bike.
  • The "Incline" (actually a "13", Halfords new brand) has the best fork - the air-sprung Raidon x2 is a step up from the coil-sprung x3 on the Hoodoo. The x2 is a bit lighter, but x3 might be a bit plusher because of its coil. Not a huge difference in the brakes and the rest of the finishing kit, although the Hoodoo has full Alivio drivetrain.

In terms of future proofing, if you buy into the hype that 26" is dead then maybe the Hoodoo has limited upgrade potential. Not many mid to high end 26" forks with untapered steerers these days. It's difficult to tell from the Halfords pages but I'm not sure if any of the frames can take a tapered fork. If you don't care about upgradeability then I'd go for either the Voodoo or the 13. Something to bear in mind is that Halfords have been speccing Voodoo bikes for a few years and they're quite well known and liked. 13 was announced something like two days ago and is pretty unknown at this point.
  • JayX2A
    Interesting info thanks! I intend (bar any accidents) to keep the bike for a while and upgrade bits as I go so not sure if to go 650B or not. Pretty sure there with be enough 26" upgrades around to keep me going.

Popping to store today to have a look
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    26" isn't dead, the comment about forks is true, straight steerer forks with QR drop outs are harder to find, however the frame may take tapered depending on the head tube size and if the right headset can be fitted.
  • The Rookie
    The Hoodoo takes a semi integrated headset and if the headtube is anything like my (also Merida made) Carrera, then it will take a tapered fork with a small increase in stack height and raising the front end by circa 7mm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JayX2A
    Popped in to a smaller Halfords when out and about today so models on display were limited. They had the Hoodoo, which does look well equipped and nicely built.

Looked at the Aizan too which although was £50 more, seemed to have a worse shock, but otherwise pretty equal from my limited knowledge! Still, looked pretty good to me!

The old Kraken was on display with the new one. Spec wise it looked pretty similar, although running 650b which was a nice upgrade.

Didn't have an of the 13 bikes built.

So far I have favoured the Hoodoo and Kraken (with the intention of upgrading the Krakens fork/brakes after Christmas if I went that route).
  • I have an old 2011/2012 bantu which is the same frame as the hoodoo, they ride really well for the money. And to echo an earlier comment...with the right headset they'll take a tapered fork :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Incline is one of the best bikes I have seen specced for 500 quid.
  • JayX2A
    I'm hoping y bigger local Halfords has the 13 made up. I know they have the Hoodoo and Kraken so it would be nice to see and sit on all three before making a decision.

He did say they may be able to get a replacement Fury in from another store (the outgoing model), but not sure what to do, but the manager said the choice was mine to make.
  • JayX2A
    supersonic wrote:
    The Incline is one of the best bikes I have seen specced for 500 quid.

Are Clarks Exo Hydraulic Disc Brakes ok to start out with? Obviously I can upgrade at a later date, but just want a bike that I can get out and enjoy straight away.
  • Of course. To be frank, most people ride bikes that are way over specced for what they're used for. You'll be able to do a lot with any of those bikes you've shortlisted.
  • JayX2A
    asdfhjkl wrote:
    Of course. To be frank, most people ride bikes that are way over specced for what they're used for. You'll be able to do a lot with any of those bikes you've shortlisted.

I kind of thought that, I'm not doing anything too hard, chalky paths, few down hills and general light trials so anything more and think it would be over the top. Going in tomorrow to make my choice.
  • The Rookie
    Any of those will do that no problem.
  • What did you go for?

Sorry to hear the Fury didn't work out - love mine.
  • Has anyone seen/tried the 13 yet? I like the look of it and shall pop down the local halfords tomorrow to see if they have one. Has 10% off (all bikes at halfords) this weekend on top of which you should be able to get upto a further "hotukdeals" 22%...which means we're talking under £400

Spec looks good and according to the below it has the same frame as the £1400 version which is pretty impressive (to my limited knowledge).

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/h ... and-42496/