Saracen Ariel 14x 2014 Build

chored
chored Posts: 20
edited October 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Got this frame earlier in the month:

15291034555_539dbf02aa_h_d.jpg

Saracen Ariel 14x 2014

Getting headset/forks fitted at LBS Next week, so hopefully should be able to start turning it into something resembling a bike! Pretty much zero information about this frame on the web and I've only managed to find 1 bike built up from the 2014 frame so far.

Comments

• Nice looking frame, keep us updated with the build.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Ariel looks a tidy bike from what I have seen. Couple of decent reviews about for it - looks a well suited bike for UK riding.

What forks you putting on?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Going for X-Fusion Slant with the Gold Slick Ano. Just got a call from the bike shop today to say they are in stock, so it's booked in to get them fitted next week. Will get the travel reduced to 150mm at the same time. Got a pair of Slants on my hardtail and found them pretty good, so just sticking with what I know.
  • Got the frame back from the bike shop, with the headset and forks fitted:

15196216229_b37c2648b3_c.jpg

The Goldslick Ano on the forks is pretty close to the Kashima coating on the shock. Also picked up a Hope Hoops rear wheel which I've fitted the cassette to:

15382661442_90849f4807_c.jpg

Need to buy bars so I can start putting on brakes etc. Cranks are coming from my hardtail, I've taken them off but they need cleaned and new chainrings put on. Also stealing the front wheel from my hardtail so need to get that off and cleaned up at some point.
  • I really like the look of that frame and the way it's designed. Should be great once it's built up! Would be good to hear how it rides.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    oxocube1 wrote:
    I really like the look of that frame and the way it's designed. Should be great once it's built up! Would be good to hear how it rides.

Yup, same here. Always liked these and this looks like it's going to be a really nice build.

Keep us updated! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I want one of these. Very nice frame.
  • chored
    Tyres and brake discs on the wheels:

15235934379_05bced63d9_z.jpg

Got the bars and brakes fitted as well, but not uploaded the photos yet.
  • chored
    They're Shimano XT RT76 rotors, was going to get RT86 but the sizes I wanted weren't in stock when I went to buy them.
  • chored
    Wheel, brakes and bars fitted now:

15275740287_a5e5352a28_c.jpg

Need to order shifters and mechs next.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Save some money and just order one shifter and mech - its the new black/friday depending on your preferred analogy.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chored
    Yeh, keep swinging between 1x10/2x10. Won't save me all that much because I've already bought 24/38 tooth chainrings and any savings I make on not having front mech/shifter I'll end up spending on a narrow wide chainring anyway. Still might do it and use the chainrings I bought to convert my hardtail to 2x10.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Very nice build!

I had an older version from a mate a while back to service, I actually loved that bike! rode so well!
  • chored
    Finally finished this earlier in the week, but been unable to get it out for a ride until today.

15439972258_f93e23eacb_c.jpg

And out and about:

15440097167_7f84c4836e_c.jpg

Final Spec:

Frame: Saracen Ariel 14x 2014
    Forks: X-Fusion Slant (Goldslick Ano) - 150mm
    Bars: Race Face Atlas (785mm)
    Stem: Truvativ AKA (60mm)
    Headset: FSA Orbit
    Grips: Saracen

Front Brake: Shimano XT
    Front disc: Shimano XT
    Rear Brake: Shimano XT
    Rear Disc: Shimano XT

Shifters: Shimano XT 2x10
    Front Mech: Shimano XT
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT Shadow Plus

Seat: Charge Spoon
    Seat Post: Rockshox Stealth Reverb

Cranks: Shimano XT (Switched from my other bike)
    Chainring(s): 24 (XT), 38 (SLX)
    Chain: Shimano XT
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    Pedals: DMR V12 Mag (Switched from my other bike)
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT

Front Wheel: (Switched from other bike)
    Rim: Mavic EN521
    Hub: Superstar Switch Evo
    Tube: Continental
    Tire: Continental Mountain King ProTection (2.4)

Back Wheel: New Hope Hoops
    Rim: Mavic EN521
    Hub: Hope Pro2 Evo
    Tube: Continental
    Tire: Continental Mountain King ProTection (2.4)

Weight: 14.5kg

Been out on a 25km ride and the bike seemed really good, not sure about the Charge Spoon saddle, seemed a bit uncomfortable, but I've read it might soften up with use, so will try it for a bit, but might switch it to a WTB off my hardtail. Wide bars were a bit much initially, but by mid ride I didn't really notice them - did smack a finger into a narrow bridge though :) Ride seems pretty similar to my hardtail (Saracen Zen 2012) but will the added smoothness of the rear suspension. Weight is only 700g more than the hardtail which is a similar spec, although slightly less XT components. Really happy with how it turned out.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Looks great. Great spec too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks really nice, not a bad weight for a 140/150mm bike, some scope there to shed a bit though.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.