ISCG bash guard for 1x11 setup

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a bash guard for my Capra Comp1 - chain is a bit exposed down there.

Can I get a bashguard alone or do I need a bash and upper chain guide (don't think I need to go for a lower guide, but not against the idea.

Suggestions? advice? recommendations?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1x11 is no different to any other 1x, so you have all the same choices, upper guide only, upper and lower, twin guide rings bash and inner guide plate or just a narrow wide ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Blackspire Bruiser sounds like exactly what you're wanting. It's just a taco bash guard with no guide. I use one with my 1x10 setup along with a Blackspire Narrow Wide and they're both excellent and not too expensive.
  • That sounds interesting - thanks.

Two further questions.

If I fit one will I lose my current chainguide, think its an e'thirteen - will check when I'm next in the garage :)

I have 32 teeth omn my chainring - the spec says that it fits 32-38, does this mean that it will be oversized for my setup? I don't want something that will be too big
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It may or may not need to be removed. It depends how it's fitted. Narrow Wide rings are pretty reliable though and don't normally need a guide.

There are two versions. The one you mentioned that will work but give you less ground clearance and the ability to fit a bigger ring. There is also a smaller 26-32 version which will give you more ground clearance but you can't fit a ring bigger than 32. I use the smaller one with 30 and 32 tooth rings.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Rookie wrote:
    1x11 is no different to any other 1x, so you have all the same choices, upper guide only, upper and lower, twin guide rings bash and inner guide plate or just a narrow wide ring.

Yes and no - XX1 is a proprietary 76mm BCD, which limits ones choice of bash rings vastly, but yes principally agree.