Kona kapu Steel Bike & Fork query?

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am looking at a steel Kona Kapu and was wondering are the Reynolds 853 Cromoly Classic Road fork very uncomfortable to ride on?

I will be using this as a training, every day bike.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Not an exact comparison but I've recently finished building up a 2012 vintage Genesis Equilibrium frameset in Reynolds 725. That was from the era when the forks were steel rather than the carbon forks that have been a feature of the models from 2013 onwards.

I am amazed at how comfortable the bike is compared to my previous builds (Forme Longcliffe alloy and Trek 5200 carbon both of which had carbon forks).

True the steel forks do come with a weight penalty over carbon but I'm not noticing that due to that fact that it seems to be cancelled out by the Campag Zonda wheelset fitted with 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC tyres.

If you are worried about potential harshness then fit some 25mm tyres and run them at 80 - 90psi
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    arlowood wrote:
    Not an exact comparison but I've recently finished building up a 2012 vintage Genesis Equilibrium frameset in Reynolds 725. That was from the era when the forks were steel rather than the carbon forks that have been a feature of the models from 2013 onwards.

I am amazed at how comfortable the bike is compared to my previous builds (Forme Longcliffe alloy and Trek 5200 carbon both of which had carbon forks).

True the steel forks do come with a weight penalty over carbon but I'm not noticing that due to that fact that it seems to be cancelled out by the Campag Zonda wheelset fitted with 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC tyres.

If you are worried about potential harshness then fit some 25mm tyres and run them at 80 - 90psi

Thanks, that's what i was hoping to hear.