Stroppy Teenager

smoggysteve
smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
It all came to a head last night. After months of petulant arguing and the calls of "You don't give me enough money/attention/freedom" or "You make me do too much housework" and "I want to move out, I can look after myself" I give the option to stay or go.

"Pack your bags and go if that's what you want" I said. Banging doors of wardrobes and drawers with clothes being pushed into bags ensued. "That's it, I'm leaving! I don't need you!" The front door slammed and then there was a silence not witnessed in the house for years. It was a peace I could get used to. Eventually.

Then, this morning, there was a shy tap at the door. "Can I come back in please? I have nowhere to go and i'm hungry." Said a very sheepish voice.

"Of course you can come back in. But so long as you live by my rules and do as you're told" I replied.

Guess the idea of running away seemed great until they realized "Sh!t, I have no idea where to go or what I am doing. I have no money. Maybe I am better of at home where I can be looked after."

Teenagers huh? What are they like? ;-)

Comments

• Teenagers huh? What are they like? ;-)

They're the kind of people who post personal stuff on the internet without thinking. Luckily they grow out of it. :wink:
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    It all came to a head last night. After months of petulant arguing and the calls of "You don't give me enough money/attention/freedom" or "You make me do too much housework" and "I want to move out, I can look after myself" I give the option to stay or go.

"Pack your bags and go if that's what you want" I said. Banging doors of wardrobes and drawers with clothes being pushed into bags ensued. "That's it, I'm leaving! I don't need you!" The front door slammed and then there was a silence not witnessed in the house for years. It was a peace I could get used to. Eventually.

Then, this morning, there was a shy tap at the door. "Can I come back in please? I have nowhere to go and i'm hungry." Said a very sheepish voice.

"Of course you can come back in. But so long as you live by my rules and do as you're told" I replied.

Guess the idea of running away seemed great until they realized "Sh!t, I have no idea where to go or what I am doing. I have no money. Maybe I am better of at home where I can be looked after."

Was this said in English or German?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Where did he/she/zitface go for the night?
  • FTFY
  • There are some dull people on here is all I will say
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Well done.
    Kids need a tough stance although Mr V is very bad at this, I have the ability to be as tough as needed in business but awful with the kids. Thank god for Mrs V !

I have often said toilet paper, toothpaste and soap quickly brings reality.
    Until you leave home you really have no idea that these things need to be purchased and paid for !
    I was belted by my father if I answered my mother back, not hard but enough to let me know who the boss was. I respected my dad until the day he died so never felt bad for the tough line he had, it did me well IMO.
    Living MY dream.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    There are some dull people on here is all I will say

I feel all proud now I know I got it. :wink:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    My 14yo daughter can be a royal PIA alright, the other night we had a "discussion" where she said she found living at home "limiting" oh wow wee!!! before then asking if I could up her GiffGaff goodie bag... "no get a job and pay for it yourself, because I find paying for you limiting :lol: " so I know where you are coming from.

But then I thought about the 14yo in in London who has been missing and I guess her family would give everything they have to get back a stroppy teenager again.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    A clever analogy. Too clever for some it would appear.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Ah, SmuggySteve was dazzling us with satire. Turns out we're a bit 'dull'. Nevermind, once I sharpen my faculties I'm sure I'll be able to waste an hour of my time not being funny. Looking forward to it.
  • simonhead wrote:

Was this said in English or German?

I suspect it was said in a mutant form of English* from the teenager and a very proper English from the parent ;)

Jockinese?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Got it at last so ignore the German comment.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    There are some dull people on here is all I will say
    Indeed, I needed the amended sign to notice, thank you. Have you heard the sound of pennies slowly dropping all day?
  • Trouble is, the analogy has nothing about Smoggy needing the family allowance money or a hand to do the dishes so not really accurate.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:
    330f2190a6746e929dde7aabc0f3ddbb.jpg

Thank you kindly for this! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I got it - but I have read half a dozen posts drawing on the same analogy on facebook already. To be fair there is probably more desire in Scotland for self governance now than there has been in my lifetime. I think Salmond is wrong - this wasn't a once in a lifetime opportunity - give it 20 years and I reckon it'll come round again and they'll leave.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Well it's 'Adios Amigo' to number one son on Sunday. Leaves for halls of residence at Southampton Univ. The hall is currently packed with his gear. Will be quite strange after almost 19 years.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Smoggy, I hope you give the petulant little git a good slap and take his pocket money away :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Smoggy, I hope you give the petulant little git a good slap and take his pocket money away :wink:

I would say lock the drinks cabinet too but they probably need something to cheer them up tonight.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Well it's 'Adios Amigo' to number one son on Sunday. Leaves for halls of residence at Southampton Univ. The hall is currently packed with his gear. Will be quite strange after almost 19 years.

He'll be back. Don't you worry.
  • Stevo_666
    Peat wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

He'll be back. Don't you worry.
    As soon as he needs money or some dirty laundry doing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    I'd kind of like my stroppy arse teenage daughter back. Because now I'm going to be a Grandma.

Someone tell me when she grew up!!!

Love n Hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup, they can be annoying little chutes but they grow away so quickly,. Hold them dearly in your hearts
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Sometimes think I prefer stroppy (daughter) to charmingly insouciant and bone idle (son). Having told me all weekend that he was up to date with his homework, the boy announced this evening that he has a 2000 word essay to hand in tomorrow. He then proceeds to do nothing all evening. GCSEs next summer, I predict trouble.
  • Stevo_666
    Not the original point of the thread I know, but my kid becomes a teenager tomorrow :shock: Time to fasten my seatbelt...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    mm1 wrote:
    Sometimes think I prefer stroppy (daughter) to charmingly insouciant and bone idle (son). Having told me all weekend that he was up to date with his homework, the boy announced this evening that he has a 2000 word essay to hand in tomorrow. He then proceeds to do nothing all evening. GCSEs next summer, I predict trouble.

This made me remember...

When my youngest was a lot younger we had constant battles to get him to do his homework. On one occasion we were helping him get something finished for the next day, one of those 'projects' which he should have been doing for the past two weeks :roll: . It had already been a long, long day and I wanted to be doing something else, but whilst I was busy on the computer finding writing his words, we sent him into the attic to get some photo album or suchlike.

I carried on working on his stuff and had just realised that it seemed to be taking him a long while to find what he wanted, when he back into the room dressed as a pirate. "Look at all this cool stuff, I'd forgotten I'd got this!", he says. At this point I left the PC, his homework, and the room whilst I still held in the urge to do murder. His mum completed his homework. :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not the original point of the thread I know, but my kid becomes a teenager tomorrow :shock: Time to fasten my seatbelt...
    Good luck, our large male one turns 16 tomorrow. I'm taking him out for a curry with my Wednesday night drinking buddies. Smaller female child hits her teens in December. Boys are definitely easier.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Good luck, our large male one turns 16 tomorrow. I'm taking him out for a curry with my Wednesday night drinking buddies. Smaller female child hits her teens in December. Boys are definitely easier.
    Bit of a coincidence eh. We're off to London Zoo this weekend with some of her mates - which means we won't be able to get within 50 yards of them for fear of causing terminal embarrassment to stropteen.

Agree that from now on, boys are easier - I'm practising my 'Terminator' stare then I'll be off down the 'shotgun and shovel' shop to buy some appropriate deterrence for when I answer the door to the inevitable spotty young oiks who will come knocking :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Mm1... Yup that rings a bell... No point in telling them cos they know it all anyway.