Quality Workstand...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Prompted by the Fat Spanner thread, I'm wondering about quality workstands. There have been plenty of workstand threads but, as with the Fat Spanner thread, as far as I remember they all seem to focus on the bargain end of the market. Is anyone using something further up the price range, around the £100 or up mark, that they can recommend and that offers something worth the extra over the budget offerings. As with most things mountain bike there are so many options that sorting the wheat from the chaff is a headache.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    I have one of these... don't be put off by the price... solid as a rock.

Well put together and great fittings.

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-762-coyote-workshop-maintenance-bike-stand.aspx

:D
  • nicklouse
    Qube wrote:
    I have one of these... don't be put off by the price... solid as a rock.

Well put together and great fittings.

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-762-coyote-workshop-maintenance-bike-stand.aspx

:D
    and exactly the same as the Fat Spanner

and the anti Rotation lock Fails very easily.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • qube
    Got to fail yet... had it abused over 2 years.

Time will tell though... for the money, can't argue.
  • nicklouse
    Qube wrote:
    Got to fail yet... had it abused over 2 years.

Time will tell though... for the money, can't argue.
    mine went in less than two weeks.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    mine went in less than two weeks.

Is that a sample of one? Bathtub failure curve and all that, unfair to dismiss it roundly because yours broke.
  • qube
    Just unlucky... maybe I got a Monday Morning version.

:lol:
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The rotation lock looks different to the fat spanner/revolution/etc. Looks like the only difference. I've got the Revolution one, was on special and a gift from the missus. Mine works fine. Use it for cleaning as well as maintenance so gets a lot of use. I don't expect too much from the rotation lock as it doesn't seem that good so I don't put too much weight on it. If I want the bike level for any reason then I'll usually take the front wheel out to balance it better.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Mines the same as the fat spanner one, no issues with it. You can get one of the park ones for £80 from CRC now though.
  • nicklouse wrote:

None of the links work.
  • So, is nobody using anything other than budget stands?
  • Well I,m quite pleased with my Fat Spanner very strong as it's the upgrade version

imagejpg2_zps9f06f122.jpg

imagejpg1_zps094a5e95.jpg
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've owned the Brand X/Revolution/Fatspanner etc. and it's not that great. As I said in the other thread it's ok for occasional use but it's too fragile for proper use. The locking mechanism is shite, the clamp is rubbish, it's very unstable, it's too flexible, the QR levers are hard to use and the handle's snap easily.

I'm now using a Feedback Sports stand and it's great. It's a little expensive but it's super solid, stable, easy to use, light and the quick release button for the clamp is such a great idea. Sure it's still not quite as stable or strong as a shop stand but that's never going to happen with a portable folding stand. There's a reason most stands you see at races are either Park or Feedback stands.

The cheapy one is now used only for washing the bike and fork servicing since the bike is in the Feedback. It might seem ok if you've never used a nicer stand but once you have and after a few years of constant use (like a couple of times a week) you soon start cursing the cheap stand. I'd never buy another one even just for occasional use, the Feedback is just sooooo much nicer and it's bright red which has to mean something.
  • The Feedback stands look very interesting. Looking at this one on Wiggle...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/feedback-sports ... workstand/

Thanks for that.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It's the Pro Elite model I have. I'm not sure the others have the button for releasing the clamp. The ratchet system used for releasing the clamp is also useful for putting the bike in the stand, you just push the clamp together and then tighten it another turn or so to clamp tightly instead of having to screw the clamp all the way on. That alone is worth extra over other stands. The Pro Elite is stronger than the Ultralight and is plenty light anyway so there's no need for an even lighter version.

I got mine from from Bike-Discount for £160.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Got a 11 or 12 year old Park stand and it works as well as it did from new. The clamp head is all metal apart from the jaw pads and it will most likely last longer than me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • peter413 wrote:
    I got mine from from Bike-Discount for £160.

Yeah, just found the good prices on bike-discount - can get the Pro for the price of the Ultra-Light elsewhere.