Shimano Zee - Rear Derailleur adjustment?

KeithRann
KeithRann Posts: 50
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

I have a 34t with wide/narrow single ring (front) with a 11-36 rear cassette, I installed a new chain, shifter cable and sleeve. I have not been able to get the derailleur set up correctly and am loosing my nerve with it!

I can set up the derailleur to work with the lower 8 gears but when I try shifting up to the 2nd to top I have to hold it in position and I can't get into the top gear hardly. I took to my local bike shop who put another cable in, tried a new chain etc. and have not found a solution. It's quite annoying as the hills are a killer! Haha

I have the short cage derailleur which should work upto 36t cassettes and my friend who has the same setup seems to work fine. Can anyone help, people mention about a b-screw which moves the derailleur on the drop out hanger but I have not adjusted this screw before.

I have a SRAM X9 shifter by the way.

Keith

Comments

• Someone may correct me, but I do t think you can use zee with a sram shifter.

Also, there is 2 versions of the zee mech, make sure you habe the fr version
  • Really, maybe I am best purchasing a Zee shifter... they are only £15 on CRC?!

I ordered the 32-36t cassette shifter, I don't have the packaging since I fitted but potentially CRC could have delivered the incorrect model and hence why it won't shift up correctly... kind of making sense now?!
  • SRAM shifters pull different amounts of cable to Shimano so you've got lucky on the gears that you have got! Can't believe the LBS didn't spot this.

Bin the SRAM shifter and get a Shimano shifter.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Good call, I did think that but assumed they would all be perhaps the same.

Just ordered a Zee shifter.

Fingers crossed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SRAM shifters pull different amounts of cable to Shimano so you've got lucky on the gears that you have got! The LBS are morons.
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    SRAM shifters pull different amounts of cable to Shimano so you've got lucky on the gears that you have got! The LBS are morons.
    FTFY

Fingers crossed. :)
  • The Rookie wrote:
    FTFY

Sorry, I was being diplomatic. Your editing is, however, correct.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris