Clipless Pedals in Winter

2»

Comments

• Tarqy
    Tarqy Posts: 14
    Sorry for the late reply, had a busy weekend of overtime. Thanks to those who provided advice.

I've got no idea of the pro's and con's of each type of pedal, no doubt it's all down to personal preference but I was looking at SPD's as they seemed to be the most popular and potentially cheapest route to trying this out.

I'm not expecting delivery of the new bike until the middle of next month so I'm thinking of picking up the pedals and shoes later this week and giving it a go on the old bike. I guess I'd rather have a fall on that than on my new shiny!

Does anyone know of some shoes at a reasonable price that have a wide fit? The Shimano site suggest they do a wide fit but I'm not sure if they are the best option shoes wise? I've got a http://startcycles.co.uk in town so I was going to go there rather than order online.
    2015 Cube Reaction GTC SL 27.5
  • As for sided pedals. I don't think it's personal preference. The vast majority of people will say single sided pedals have no place in the mountain biking. SPDs will be the cheapest way. Get yourself some 520s which can be had for about £15 online with cleats.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I just got these (the MTB version) from Wiggle - nice enough shoe, feels like a wide-ish fitting to me. No assault on the bank balance required.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb/shoes/
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • I had the single sided SPD pedals and used them for about 2 weeks before I got fed up of the pedal being flipped over and not being able to clip in also if it helps everytime I've come off my feet have always unclipped, I run mine at about half tension they've never unclipped when I don't want them to but unclip in event of a cock up :lol:

I do quite like my SPDs especially when you hit climbs filled with tree roots and rocks, means you can keep the pedals turning round a lot easier than flats :D
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    njee20 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Good option if you're a bit nervous about it as well.

Not so sure, single sided are harder to use, and the non clip side isn't particularly grippy.

In an MTB context they are rubbish. For their intended use, touring, they'll be just the job.

But I'm not sure they're a "good option if you're nervous", being single sided they're harder to use than a conventional double sided SPD.

Could be, I've been on clipless pedals for about 20-odd years now so it's actually a bit difficult to think back to when I first used them.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    get yourself a pair of time atac pedals. I've had the same pair for about 18 years now. easy to clip in and out but importantly they have a good amount of float.

That's personal rather than important...

getting in/out and lots of float is kinda important plus the fact they have lasted so long. none of that is a personal opinion really.

Float is personal, I like very little, some people like lots.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    blinddrew wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Good option if you're a bit nervous about it as well.

Not so sure, single sided are harder to use, and the non clip side isn't particularly grippy.

In an MTB context they are rubbish. For their intended use, touring, they'll be just the job.

But I'm not sure they're a "good option if you're nervous", being single sided they're harder to use than a conventional double sided SPD.

Could be, I've been on clipless pedals for about 20-odd years now so it's actually a bit difficult to think back to when I first used them.

So you recommended them as being good for beginners despite not actually remembering...?
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    njee20 wrote:
    So you recommended them as being good for beginners despite not actually remembering...?

Yep, my wife seems to get on with them fine and she's fairly new it all.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Tarqy
    In the end I've gone for a set of pd-m785 for the extra platform, should hopefully arrive today.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Tarqy wrote:
    In the end I've gone for a set of pd-m785 for the extra weight and pointlessness, should hopefully arrive today.

FTFY
  • Tarqy
    Perhaps but I'm not too concerned about the 65g, I can always drop the kids off at the pool before a ride!

May consider a switch at a later date once I'm comfortable with them but for now these seemed to be the best solution for me.