'play' on front end

UKES
UKES Posts: 23
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning chaps

Ive developed some sort of play on the front end of my bike and I just cant figure out what it is, in fact im not sure if its always been there, pretty sure it hasnt though but since I discovered it its affecting my confidence to get even the tiniest amount of air :?

Basically it feels like theres is a couple of mm of play when I lift the front end, for wheelie for eg. Everything is tight, ive tried locking my forks out fully extended as well, its really hard to tell where its coming from, any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hold a finger across all joint in turn, lock on the front brake and rock the bike backwards and forewards, it could be in the fork bushings (felt at lowers to stanchion joint) or headset (check top and bottom.

Or it could be a top out clunk?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or just a lose Headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • UKES
    The Rookie wrote:
    Hold a finger across all joint in turn, lock on the front brake and rock the bike backwards and forewards, it could be in the fork bushings (felt at lowers to stanchion joint) or headset (check top and bottom.

Or it could be a top out clunk?

Cheers, excuse my ignorance but when you say check top and bottom of headset what do you mean by bottom?

Could this be caused by the forks needing bleeding? Its feels like a 'positive' motion if you know, it stops at the end of whatever play is there, which prob rules out the forks?
  • UKES
    Right, Ive just taken the front wheel off and flipped her over :lol:

When I stand on the bars and pull the forks sharply upwards its exactly the same sort of play im getting, its as if i can lift the forks 3mm ish until they stop, its 100% coming from the forks and not anything else.

But why?
  • What forks? Positive and negative air pressures ok? Sufficient oil in the damper? Etc. etc.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • UKES
    What forks? Positive and negative air pressures ok? Sufficient oil in the damper? Etc. etc.

Epicons (not great I know)

Im pretty new to this so bare with me. I had them pressured correctly at my LBS when I first got it and thats as far as ive got. How do i check the negative pressure and the oil?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy a shock pump.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds normal to me.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.