Superstar Components wheels

woo1
woo1 Posts: 51
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to upgrade my RS10's without paying over £400 if possible.

I came across Superstar Components that look pretty decent on the weight side, does anyone know about their wheels or use them ? tad hard with no reviews.

Opinions appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Why are you upgrading what is it that you are trying to improve?
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I'm no detective but I think he's trying to improve his wheels.
  • You'd get some cleverly spec'd handbuilts under £300, let alone £400. Something like a 23mm rim (Archetype/A23) on Miche Primato hubs and Sapim Race spokes would be great.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • woo1
    diy wrote:

Speed & to help on hill climbs, I do like my RS10's but I've had them now for 3 years and it's time for a change.
  • woo1
    diy wrote:

Speed & to help on hill climbs, I do like my RS10's but I've had them now for 3 years and it's time for a change.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Interesting site. They do pre-built wheels from components using factory wheel building processes:

"All our wheels are built in the UK using the best equipment in the world. Working with Holland Mechanics who are leaders in wheelbuilding machinery we have a custom high end build line custom made for quality and accuracy. People like the phrase "handbuild" but to us that means variable quality. With our equipment we know every single wheel is built within 0.2mm accuracy (less than the sticker!), with zero spoke twist and even spoke tension every single build. The computer uses direct drive torque readings and 3 lasers to know exactly what is happening at every point of the rim. We just don't accept "Friday quality" wheels here, Perfect better than handbuilt everytime!"

Hehe! Ugo, take note, no wheel building on Fridays :)

Some of the components look to be very good (Sapim, DT Swiss, etc.) so I think it is a fair question to ask if anyone has bought from them to see if the service is good and if their computers can be trusted to build a wheel! Now, as to whether the finished product will help someone climb better...let me just check the "Do lightweight wheels go faster up hills" thread...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    A couple of my friends have their wheels, one has the carbon clinchers (fantastic quality, using reynolds rims) the other has the pave wheels, again, brill!
    Highly recommended.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Interesting site. They do pre-built wheels from components using factory wheel building processes:

"All our wheels are built in the UK using the best equipment in the world. Working with Holland Mechanics who are leaders in wheelbuilding machinery we have a custom high end build line custom made for quality and accuracy. People like the phrase "handbuild" but to us that means variable quality. With our equipment we know every single wheel is built within 0.2mm accuracy (less than the sticker!), with zero spoke twist and even spoke tension every single build. The computer uses direct drive torque readings and 3 lasers to know exactly what is happening at every point of the rim. We just don't accept "Friday quality" wheels here, Perfect better than handbuilt everytime!"

Hehe! Ugo, take note, no wheel building on Fridays :)

Some of the components look to be very good (Sapim, DT Swiss, etc.) so I think it is a fair question to ask if anyone has bought from them to see if the service is good and if their computers can be trusted to build a wheel! Now, as to whether the finished product will help someone climb better...let me just check the "Do lightweight wheels go faster up hills" thread...

As a customer there is nothing that irritates me more than a manufacturer or retailer praising itself... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Annoyingly no 11sp shimano. Not sure I want to bastardise the new build...or should I?
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I've had a pair of SS MTB wheels for a couple of years, done no more than 500 mile on mainly cycle paths, 8 or so spokes replaced and have had to have the front fully rebuilt.
    Superstar would only look at them if I stumped up the cash for the postage back to them. I'd avoid and go handbuilts with LBS or Cycleclinic (or Ugo if hes taking orders?)
  • I had a pair of their XC430 wheels on my specialized full sus & they were fantastic. I can't really comment about the road wheels though.
  • I had some road wheels of theirs and they were nothing but trouble, cracked rim, broken nipple and then creaking rear hub. Maybe I was unlucky...