Time to buy first full sus Bike

luklagun
luklagun Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Been riding hardtail bike for last 3 years and is time for change.
I was going to but Cube Fritzz 160 HPa 2014 model but all been sold out.

So im planing to buy Cube Fritzz 180 HPA Race 2015 which will be available from November this year but couple days ago friend mention Lappier Zesty 427. Both bike are 27.5. And now dont know what to choose ??

Going to demo cube fritzz 180 in 3 weeks time when will arrive in local bike shop but can't find any one with lappier zesty near me so could try this to.

I'm 6ft amd with all gear on my weight is 113-115kg most time been riding at Dalby, Gizburn and other trail centers also some time XC in yorkshire dales or peak district. Also would like to start enduro riding.
Maybe there is other bikes that you could recommend and budget is up to 2.5k for new bike.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    That Cube is a hell of a lot of bike to horse round, with a lot of travel. Whilst I don't like the term overbiked, I wouldn't want to pedal that round Gisburn (think the Hope Line climb) or on an XC route. If you can get a demo go for it, you may love it.

I'd be looking at something like a Nukeproof Mega or Canyon Nerve/Spectral (I would say that as an owner of a Canyon) or similar. Also is that Global Bikes website real - "We only sell bike rated 8/10 or higher by professionals."
  • Global Bikes sell the Mega TR 2014 for less than CRC which is a neat trick if you can swing it.

I agree with mcn's advice - that Frizz will be a lot of burl to move about with just a set of legs everyday. I'd be looking at something a little more moderate in travel for everyday use. I think even the 160 version was a bigger 160 bike than some. The Zesty is definitely more of a pedal friendly all mountain bike for the UK in my humble.

Interesting spec on the Zesty - per that site, SRAM X7 front and rear mech but Shimano SLX shifters.....that doesnt work does it?! It also has a press fit BB so I would look elsewhere.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I would second McNs thoughts.

Those two bikes will feel very different. You will have to try them out to see how they suit.
    Personally, I love Lapierre frames. They suit my riding style and the mounting of the rear shock makes it easy for me to flick between modes (I do tend to mess around with fork and shock settings). That said, I'm not a convert to their E:l shock system. I tried some out on a test day and couldn't justify the addtional cost and maintenance. There were some technical issues too. Going for a model without one may save you money too.
    I've always found Cubes a bit 'neutral' regarding the way they ride. Comfortable and well equipped, but not as much 'fun' as I would like. However, sticking 180mm of travel on something may change that.
    (But that is way too much travel for my local trails.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)