Fiz'ik seat and lights

Bar Shaker
Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I know you can get the Fiz'ik Blink light but the reviews of this are that the light output is poor.

At the moment, my 5 LED Cateye is loosely attached to my seat bag but it droops down.

Has anyone successfully fixed a light to the tab you remove to fit a Blink light?
Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
Boardman FS Pro

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This probably won't help but I have done this with the remains of a clip from a cracked seatbag mount. This isn't entirely immune from your problem as the light does tend to get jolted down over bumps - it would be easy to fix but I'm a lazy get......!

P6060060_zps1d2ba11a.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bar Shaker
    Thanks Rolf. I see that you have used the same tab in your Fiz'ik that I was thinking of securing to.

I am thinking the easiest way might be to buy the Blink light (about £12) and use that to hold my Cateye, with some sort of screw or bolt fixing.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Erm... http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m11b2 ... tAodeHMAVQ

This is what I use. I also have a Fiz'ik saddle:

438cc525-2758-4eaf-9ce7-401d15d5310b_zpsda680361.jpg
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Bar Shaker
    Ben, that would work perfectly but would it stop me using my little seat bag?

Some might say that would be a good thing, but I don't want to load up my pockets with my tubes, levers, mini tool, CO2, micro lock, kitchen sink.

I suppose the bracket could be fitted the other way up to give more room.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • I've ordered the Blink light and it was dispached Yesterday. Your welcome to have a look so you can have a look to see what can be done or I can send some pics if you like.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    I have the Fizik blink light, the output is Ok but obviously nowhere near even a low end cateye. I only use the Blink on overcast / drizzly days and if I think I might still be riding around dusk time. I wouldn't use it at night, I just don't think it's powerful enough.
  • Bar Shaker
    Thanks Neal. Are you out Sat or Sun?

ba68 that's what the reviews said so I'm not interested in using it as a light. I would only use it as something to fix the Cateye light to, that can then all clip into the seat.

The Fiz:ik light is actually cheaper than Ben's bracket and Halfords have stock at £10 each. I'll get one tonight and have a play over the weekend.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • I want a lay in tomorrow so I'll prob go out in the afternoon and on Sunday I'm going to do the local club ride so my brother can join me. I'll send some pics over once it's delivered (hopefully tomorrow) or if not it's an excuse for a midweek ride finnishing with some beer.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You should still be able to attach a saddle bag.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Bar Shaker
    That light clips into a Kiz:ik saddle bag, not a Fiz:ik seat. Thanks though.

I ran out of time at the weekend so still have this to do.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Really? I don't have the saddle bag and it's clipped direct to my seat...

I'll try to get a pic later.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • And as promised...
    Giant Defy 2
  • Yeah, there's a Cateye bracket specifically designed for this Bar Shaker. You can buy the parts separately or as part of a bundle with the Rapid 3, just Google "fizik cateye" and you'll find a whole load of options.

If you're using a saddle bag, I'd be tempted to hack off the tab for removing the light from the bracket, so that it sits nice and snug up against the light without digging a hole in it!
  • Bar Shaker
    That's perfect! Just trying to find the bracket on its own, somewhere.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker
    Unable to get the bracket that Buck shows above (unless I also buy a new light - I may yet do so) and with nothing to do last night, I set about butchering a Blink.

eE47a4WM.jpg
    CtflqWcE.jpg
    KqKJVwAn.jpg

Aligning it to horizontal made it trickier than planned. I drilled two small holes in the skirt area at the back of the Blink, inserted some stainless tying wire, set the Cateye beyond level and inserted a blob of hot glue. Once this had set I spun the tying wire and this pulled the Cateye back to level by slightly compressing the glue blob.

The bracket would have been simpler but it was a fun little job.

Both lights now work and the waterproofing of the Blink has not been compromised. It will work as well, until the battery dies.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro