Alternative to Crosslight Pro6

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited October 2014 in Cyclocross
Right, so I got myself a nice Pro6 frame, only Upgrade decide to send it to LBS without forks as they are "having colour match issues." I now have to return it to Upgrade (via LBS) who will try match the frame to some spare forks they at the warehouse and en it back to me. This is a ballache, sneaky on Upgrades behalf and now make me wary that the colour will match anyway, so what are the alternatives to the Pro6? Or is there a black fork that would do the job?

Any pointers?

TIA...

Comments

• djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    What colour frame was it? I ordered one in July in Sick Green and the colour match was so far off it was unbelieveable. Subsequent communication told me it was sorted but upon checking with my supplier of choice - they told me there were still issues.

This is when I gave up and went to my plan B - which wasn't just a frameset but a complete bike from a different manufacturer.

As for alternatives I guess it depends on what your requirements are? Is it just a frameset you need? What made you pick the Pro 6? I assume it must be disc? Eyelets for guards/rack? Is it for CX racing or is it just for a bit of light off road?
  • rowlers
    Its the green.
    Its basically a "fun" bike, commuting, cycle paths with the kids and a little bit of off-road (hopefully) too. I don't plan to race. Only other frame that looks interesting is the Fugio, but it was a little out of budget at the time.
    I've got the groupset, so need the frameset only now...
    cheers
  • djp66
    Yes it is a shame, I really like the green too. I couldn't find a frameset I liked that had eyelets, cable routing the way I wanted it, was disc and would suit for 'fun' as you say plus could cope with british roads and a bit of light touring if I wanted.

It doesn't help you but I ended up with a Rose Cross DX. I had already sourced an Ultegra 6800 groupset but now that's just going to be used to upgrade my road bike. Although if you believe my other half I planned it that way in the first place :-)

Hope you find something soon, good luck.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    If they can't colour match what about a black Pro6 fork as they sell to the aftermarket with a bit of extra discount.
    http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/forks/cross/cxd
    Although saying that the Fugio is nice, Ugo had problems with his fork and had to replace it though.
  • rowlers
    Veronese68 wrote:
    If they can't colour match what about a black Pro6 fork as they sell to the aftermarket with a bit of extra discount.
    Although saying that the Fugio is nice, Ugo had problems with his fork and had to replace it though.
    Yeh thats an option I guess. It's a bit poor though that it comes down to this....
    Cheers
  • djp66
    Veronese68 wrote:

I asked if they would supply a black fork with the green frame and was told that it would not be possible. To be fair, that was via a distributor rather than Upgrade/Kinesis direct.

This was the point at which I gave up .....
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    is this not a valid option?:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... -road-bike

No stock until 15 Oct though by the looks of things...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • rowlers
    Luv2ride wrote:
    is this not a valid option?:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... -road-bike

No stock until 15 Oct though by the looks of things...

Need the frameset only, plus I'd need the LBS to get it direct from distributor, don't think they'll be able to but from PX....
  • rowlers
    Received the frame and forks back and the colour is a MATCH.
    However the QC on this frame as appalling. Loads of overspray on the graphics, little section of the decals missing, lumpy patch on the fork crown.
    Not impressed at all just about to give LBS a ring see what they say...
  • veronese68
    Apologies for what might be a stupid question. Is it really overspray? The graphics are made to look like overspray, certainly the one on the top tube at any rate. The graphics are applied after the paint.
    Besides, once you get it dirty you won't notice. The bike is meant to be used and abused.
  • rowlers
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Apologies for what might be a stupid question. Is it really overspray? The graphics are made to look like overspray, certainly the one on the top tube at any rate. The graphics are applied after the paint.
    Besides, once you get it dirty you won't notice. The bike is meant to be used and abused.

Pics:
    Green spots over the white:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzwQ41 ... sp=sharing
    Bits of the "CX" missing:
    Half of the "CX" missing:
    You need to zoom in on this one, head tube dinged:

I agree that it will get knocked/dinged in use, but I didn't pay £500+ for "2nd" frame. LBS agrees and it is going back to Upgrade, unless they are will to heavily discount it ;) We'll see what upgrade have to say on Monday...
  • djp66
    Looks familiar :oops:

1610772_752975704725025_2126730310332352759_n.jpg?oh=e0a3358de6259cb06bcd9f42523367b4&oe=54BBD052&__gda__=1421239699_c0dbdddd2a53164107564bb0d41a3b7f

.. and before anyone comments, I know the forks are in the wrong way - it was just an easy way to take a pic of the colour mismatch.
    10500501_752975628058366_2992052287708864872_n.jpg?oh=98a11579865d07834b86cc6a34d96c95&oe=54CE888A
  • veronese68
    That's not overspray, it's design.
    Spots over the white, admittedly on a black frame.
    pro6-detail-AStay1.jpg
    Bits of the CX missing?
    pro6-detail-green-cxd.jpg
    Hlaf of the CX missing?
    pro6_cxdisc_tektro.jpg
    These are publicity shots off their website so I'm pretty sure its meant to be like that. There are a couple of chips on the bottom of the head tube, that is the only issue. Personally I wouldn't worry unless you don't like their idea of design.
    Oh and djp that colour match is indeed dreadful, but I suspect you know that.
  • rowlers
    I'm not buying that it is supposed to be like that - sorry! Its too random to be "design", the spots on the white are bumpy as if air bubble have popped during painting.
    Does yours have the same design details?

Anyway we'll see what upgrade have to say.
  • veronese68
    rowlers wrote:
    Yes.
  • rowlers
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rowlers wrote:
    Yes.
    Well it turns out that you are right on the money. They are indeed part of the design... Apparently they get phone calls all the time about this. Got a discount for the knock to the head tube though :D
  • veronese68
    rowlers wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rowlers wrote:
    Yes.
    Well it turns out that you are right on the money. They are indeed part of the design... Apparently they get phone calls all the time about this. Got a discount for the knock to the head tube though :D
    Thought somebody had queried it before, seems like a good outcome for you. Now get out and enjoy it, when there is mud splattered over the graphics you can't see the overspray. :mrgreen:
  • rowlers
    Absolutely... LBS have confirmed they have just got my 6800 disc hubs in too. Archtypes on these and should be ready next week. Its all coming together!
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    my pro6 also has a slight colour mismatch between frame and fork. It is one of the now discontinued red ones and there is a slight difference in hue - fork is more cherry red, frame is more orangey red. You can just about see it in this pic

IMG_20140627_094401.jpg

I love the bike though so it doesn't bother me too much - plus it was discounted so easier to swallow that slight imperfection