PSA Aldi bike stuff

natrix
natrix Posts: 1,111
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
http://catalog.aldi.com/emag/en_GB/prin ... UKLeaflet/

Loads of Aldi cycling gear on special next Thursday 8)
~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up Natrix, interesting to see the catalogue before it gets advertised on their website.

Looks like they are doing the winter gear and the 'Pro' gear on the same day, from memory I think they split these two three or four weeks apart last year (how time flies). Bearing this in mind, I bet not everything will be available in every store, I think sometimes they promise too much with regard to the range.

I'll probably try and get some of the base layers, either the compression ones (I have about 6 at home, at they are still going strong after a few years of use, and they don't retain any odour), or the Merino (blend, I suspect). The socks look good as well, both the winter ones and the waterproof ones.

I see the Mens size smalls are like rocking horse manure again....grrr.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I know people insist you get what you pay for etc etc :roll: ....
    But I got some of the compression base layer stuff last year and they really are excellent for the money.
    Well worth a look. :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The base layers, gloves and jackets are excellent. I'm less sure about the longs.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pituophis wrote:
    I know people insist you get what you pay for etc etc :roll: ....
    But I got some of the compression base layer stuff last year and they really are excellent for the money.
    Well worth a look. :wink:

Agree! I've bought the black 'compression' ones for the last two years and I prefer them to my Craft Zero and Icebreaker merino base layers. Will probs get another couple this year.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I love my £10 compression top I got last year, I think I will get another couple of them (even though they don't do them in all black) and stock up on socks.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • All looks great unfortunately they aren't in Northern Ireland and don't do online - GRRR
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Cheers for the heads up. Lemon meringue pies for £1.99 :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tim_jones wrote:
    All looks great unfortunately they aren't in Northern Ireland and don't do online - GRRR

People resell on ebay. You might pay a bit extra but they're still a bargain.
  • I see the Mens size smalls are like rocking horse manure again....grrr.
    This. The better "performance" stuff starts at "sail" size.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    How do their jackets/long sleeve jerseys fit? Do they come up small or large? Normally a medium in cycling clothing.
  • got sum bibshorts and a winter jacket tryed them out today seem ok to me very comfortable and warm keep me going throught winter
  • Got a winter jacket & cycling shirt in XL. Normally I am a Large but stepped up a size to XL as I will be layering, TBH their sizes are generally a good fit and match the high street.

The Merino Wool base layers are also very good quality for the money, and also bought 6 pairs of their wool blend socks.

All i just over £130 spent on bits but worth it.
    British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
    Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
    Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross
  • I got some of the lobster gloves, as they are touted as waterproof (time will tell) Also a pair of base layer pants/tights.
    Going to try a different store tonight, to look for a jacket with the green on the arms, wasnt keen on the pinkish colour stripe on the other jackets. And maybe a pair of waterproof socks
  • I got one of the jerseys in large, which may have been a mistake I might need XL.
    I couldn't remember if I was large short \ XL jersey or the other way round.
    I am losing weight and inches so maybe I should keep it as an incentive to lose more weight!
    Also got some of the winter gloves.

Had the pro jacket from last year which I love but not needed it since about March this year.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Tried the long sleeve top for my early morning commute, it's a very warm top-must've lost a gallon of sweat.
  • Yes it really wicks me off that the higher quality stuff starts at medium. Don't they realise that more serious cyclists are more likely to be scrawny runts like me?! I'm 5'8" and 10 stone 5 lbs (ok - not that scrawny) - and medium is way too large.
  • Yes it really wicks me off that the higher quality stuff starts at medium. Don't they realise that more serious cyclists are more likely to be scrawny runts like me?! I'm 5'8" and 10 stone 5 lbs (ok - not that scrawny) - and medium is way too large.

They also realise that most of their punters are going to be lardy mamils trying lycra for the first time. Serious dudes buy Assos and suchlike. The amount of stuff they have left after a day or two (at least around here) suggests that most people have tried their stuff in previous promos and then moved on to better/more expensive brands.