Hope tech evo v4

lillip
lillip Posts: 38
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi I'v been offered a brand new set of hope tech evo v4 never been out of the packet on a different group for £200
( yes or no) thanks

Comments

• You can get better Shimano brakes for less money new.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    POAH wrote:
    zee are £145 from the germans

Bear in mind that if you buy them from our German friends, they'll be right rear/left front. If you value your time at more than £55/hour the Hope brakes are a better choice, once you've swapped the hoses. With that said, you may have to shorten the Hope hoses anyway, so it doesn't matter much . . .

For me, Shimano Deore are all the brake I ever need, and you can get a pair for less than £100 from lots of places!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    lillip wrote:
    Hi I'v been offered a brand new set of hope tech evo v4 never been out of the packet on a different group for £200
    ( yes or no) thanks
    Shimano make some fine brakes but the V4s are in a different league. Huge modulation without feeling mushy and power that just keeps on coming. How hard can you pull with one finger? The Hopes are with you all the way. Whereas Shimano have that lightweight delicate feel the Hopes have a solid pull and a precise lever that feels as though its actually doing something. Reach and bite point adjusters work as expected. The Hopes are a joy to work on as well they look and perform as brakes should without being over-engineered

Buy them you won't regret it
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Giraffoto wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    zee are £145 from the germans

Bear in mind that if you buy them from our German friends, they'll be right rear/left front. If you value your time at more than £55/hour the Hope brakes are a better choice, once you've swapped the hoses. With that said, you may have to shorten the Hope hoses anyway, so it doesn't matter much . . .

For me, Shimano Deore are all the brake I ever need, and you can get a pair for less than £100 from lots of places!

I forgot that when you trim the hoses you can swap them round. Takes me 10 mins at the most to trim and swap the hoses over. the right/left thing is not an issue.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    You can give them to me.

Personally, I really like Hope brakes.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I love hope brakes, but the shimanos are amazing value for money.

As above i love how easy it is to rebuild hope brakes. I rebuilt my rear M4 calliper recently with next to no stress. Modulation and power are fantastic. At £200 i think they are a bargain. They will almost certainly retain that value for a number of years as well!
  • Hi thanks for your replies I decided to get them in the end so I should have them by Monday changing the hoses over will be no problem. I'm putting them on my giant anthem bit over kill I know but I like them. I'm putting 180 rotors on it so I need the mounts if any one is selling a set also looking for blue parts for them
    Thanks phil