New Giant Defy 2015

clumsybob
clumsybob Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all first time poster long time lurker.
I'm looking to purchase a new bike through cycle to work. IT's a Halfords scheme but I am able to buy bikes from other manufacturers however at a non discounted price.
I am pretty much set on getting a Giant Defy 2015 model (non disc). With a budget of £1000 I was set on a Defy 0 however I have been informed I may have to wait until January for delivery. However I could get a Defy 1 now. Looking at the spec sheets they are identical except for the drive train and brakes. The Defy 0 has Ultegra shifters front and rear mech and Shimano brakes where the Defy 1 has full 105 and Tektra brakes.
There is a £100 difference in price. Would I actually notice the difference between 105 and Ultegra for £100? I was thinking of just upgrading the brakes with the spare cash.

Your opinions and experience would be most welcome, I'm upgrading from a Halfords £500 bike so have never expierienced the higher end kit.

Thanks

Comments

• I would want the Ultegra for just £100 more. Are they both 11 speed?
  • Both 11 speed slightly different ratios
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The Ultegra brakes are significantly better than the Tektro brakes imho.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Both the 2015 Defy 0 and 1 bikes have the same frame/forks, similar paint schemes, different colour accents and are 11sp. The 0 only has Ultegra 6800 STI and rear RD the rest is 105 FD, BR-561 Brakes and RS500 crankset, It is £200 cheaper than last years model.

The 1 is mostly 105 5800 apart from the brakes, tektro and crankset, FSA but as you say you could buy the 105 equivalents and fit yourself. I can't tell you how the 5800 and 6800 components compare as I've only experience of 6700 10sp on my Defy 0.

You will notice a difference in the ride and both groups sets will be nice to use.
  • Immediate response would be to go with the Ultegra equipped bike for £100 more but I'm guessing those Shimano brakes aren't specifically Ultegra, in which case it's not quite so cut and dried.

I've got a Defy with Tektro brakes and they certainly work but are heavier and definitely not as efficient as the higher end Shimano kit.

You're talking about £60-65 to get the latest 5800 105 brakes, plus cables if you need them so you are likely to end up in a similar place, unless the Ultegra bike has Ultegra brakes, in which case it's a no brainer!