Advice on 1X10 set up

towlawrian
towlawrian Posts: 67
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I ve looked on a few posts and cant find an answer to my questions which is.

do I have to remove the old big chain ring complety and relace it with different one or can I keep it on and just changed the bolts with single ring set?

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If you can manage with just the current big ring then stick with it. Usually though people use a smaller ring in place of the big one.
    Replace the middle ring if you're coming from a 3x set up.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    towlawrian wrote:
    do I have to remove the old big chain ring complety and relace it with different one or can I keep it on and just changed the bolts with single ring set?
    Depends what you have now and where you are trying to put the single ring.

A chainring designed for shifting isn't ideal for a single ring setup as the ramps are designed to encourage the chain to come off the ring!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • well to be honest it jumps of the big ring now sometimes when going over drops etc so I think I will go for a narrow wide single ring. I was thinking about the race face has anyone used these before?

my other question is the current ring ring is 38t and I can currently climb ok in when in this gear, will it be easier to climb with a bigger number lets say a 42t chainring or is it the other way round? ie a smaller number is easier to climb? I know it will be faster the bigger but will it be easier to climb?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it will be harder - the gearing will be higher.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ok thanks so its finding a common ground between climbing and speed on flats. I might just stick with the 38
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's a very large ring for a 29er single ring, I run a 32 on my race bike, I'd consider 34, but I'd suggest you'll lose bottom end if you go bigger
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Don't go with the race face ring. I costs 25 pounds more than the superstar one.
  • Cqc wrote:
    Don't go with the race face ring. I costs 25 pounds more than the superstar one.

last time I looked - superstar 26, raceface 38 ... not quite 25 quid!

I got raceface, simply for the tried and tested brand.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Well the rrp of the race face is £50....
  • njee20 wrote:
    That's a very large ring for a 29er single ring, I run a 32 on my race bike, I'd consider 34, but I'd suggest you'll lose bottom end if you go bigger

That!!!

I run a 32 on my 1x10 hardtail 29er with an 11-36 cassette. Very little I can't climb and still plenty over 20mph before I've spun out.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • towlawrian
    towlawrian Posts: 67
    edited September 2014
    Another question my current rear cassette is currently an 11-36 and I am going to buy a type 2 sram derailleur, what cage length would I get away with? Would a long cage be fine for a 1X10 set up
  • Someone else will have to advise on SRAM but certainly Shimano mechs can do 36 teeth cassettes without having to resort to long cage (Zee does it with short cage!). Just check on the spec when you're ordering it would be my guess.

(I assume you're getting a SRAM mech as you have SRAM changers?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • yes I have sram changers
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Medium cage will be fine. Long will also work, but is unnecessary.
  • Thanks
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Cqc wrote:

my raceface cost me £28
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    Im using a medium cage with an E13 42t extender ring and 34 t at the front, works great lots of climb and I dont notice the slight loss of top end speed.Surrey Hills, Swinley forest etc. In truth I could live without the extender.