Urban cycling clothes on a budget

The Wilch
The Wilch Posts: 38
edited September 2014 in Commuting general
The popularity of urban style cycling gear seems to be on the rise which pleases me as I don't like wearing the typical lycra stuff, but I want technical performance from my gear. It also allows one to commute without carrying a bag full of spares etc.
But, I don't like paying a premium for this privilege. It seems that simply adding 'cycling' to the beginning of a merino garment justifies charging double or triple the price.

Or am I wrong? Are these prices justified? I understand the benefits of a cycling orientated cut hides ya bum crack etc, but is there a difference in the quality of the weave?

Basically, is there an obvious reason why this 'extra fine' merino sweater - http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/126130 - can't be used as a cheaper merino winter jersey aside from the lack of pockets and longer back? It seems like an excellent alternative to the super-expensive cycling specific jersey which would suit a moderate commute nicely...

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can shed some light on this

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    extra fine' merino is not superfine grade.

I get most of my casual cycle gear from goOutdoors
  • Lidl and Aldi are my shopping grounds for cycle gear. Aldi has some winter stuff in on the 25th Sept. I bought cycle shorts/tights from them both in summer for 7.95 each and they work for me. But then again I'm not a cycle fashion whore! Mtb helmet and shoes/peddles on road bike? Yep get over it :lol:
  • MichaelW wrote:
    extra fine' merino is not superfine grade.

I get most of my casual cycle gear from goOutdoors

Fair enough, now I know.
    Lidl and Aldi are my shopping grounds for cycle gear. Aldi has some winter stuff in on the 25th Sept. I bought cycle shorts/tights from them both in summer for 7.95 each and they work for me. But then again I'm not a cycle fashion whore! Mtb helmet and shoes/peddles on road bike? Yep get over it :lol:

I'm with you! I use regular trainers on flat pedals using home made solid insoles which I slip in and out of whichever footwear I feel like wearing that day. The more worn my soles are the more they seem to 'stick' to the pedals... no complaints. The casual gear is simply for those days when I'm on and off the bike all day; cycling just enough miles to make regular fabrics uncomfortable. Thanks for the heads up on the Aldi event!
  • After 2 years years cycling earlier on this year I went 'full lycra' (or sportswool - rapha whore) but previously I was interested in the so called 'urban' cycling wear....

...you're right, its all very expensive and pretty hard to get cheap outside the sales (thats the key - sales). You just need to build up a list of brands and websites to search for a couple of times a year and see what comes up. Urban cyclist magazine may give you ideas for this. Also some of the more mainstream brands (altura/endura) have tried to jump on the bandwagon recently...definately cheaper and quality is ok...some stuff will always be great value for money others a waste of time. My altura metro 3/4's didn't last at all and it would've been more cost effective to pay an extra £20+ to get something better...you live and learn.

But ultimately it's a fashion thing - and that costs money - as does proper 'technical' performance...you often get what you pay for. I hated the aldi/lidl merino cr*p - horrible against the skin but others didnt mind it. Planet x do some cheap merino stuff in the sale too. Whether or not you run hot may make or break the cheaper stuff to be honest (I do)

Good luck finding stuff - definately more brands now doing it than a couple years back and I'm sure prices will drop.
  • ps. if it's a short commute don't bother - just wear normal clothes and only think about getting cycle specific stuff if you find that normal clothes dont cut it, you could save a lot of money that way
  • thanks for the input. I have Endura's Urban pants and shorts which are really impressive. They're basically slightly baggier lycra and very smart, especially the pants which are nicely tailored.
    Lot's of sales now so I've been having a good peruse.
    ps. if it's a short commute don't bother - just wear normal clothes and only think about getting cycle specific stuff if you find that normal clothes dont cut it, you could save a lot of money that way

I've been commuting for about 2 years and recently started doing longer rides which is when my normal clothes became uncomfortable. I was using a merino blend polo shirt during the summer which is very comfortable in the heat
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just ride in a sports (tech) T-shirt and some baggy cotton shorts (Fila) or baggy MTB shorts (depending on the weather), I guess that looks 'urban' but it's what I wear on the MTB and comfortable.

Besides passing a Lycra clad Wiggins/Froome wannabe is even more fun then (on my flat barred hybrid carrying panniers).......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.