nibby
nibby Posts: 246
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, looking at ordering either a
Canyon ultimate AL Slx
or
Ultimate CF Slx

or maybe both !!

and I'm getting the option to upgrade seatpost with options below.

Is this worth doing and what are the real world benefits please? Current weight is around 68 kg

Cheers

on the AL

No, I don't want an exchange of seat post.
[no extra charge]
Yes, I would like to have my new bike delivered with the VCLS Post (15-35mm Setback). This exchange incurs an additional charge.
[+ £ 39.71]
Yes, I would like to have my new bike delivered with the VCLS Post 2.0 (+2 / -10 mm Setback). The colour is corresponding to the replaced seat post. This exchange incurs an additional charge.
[+ £ 103.30]
Yes, I would like to have my new bike delivered with the VCLS Post 2.0 (+25 / +13 mm Setback). The colour is corresponding to the replaced seat post. This exchange incurs an additional charge.
[+ £ 103.30

On the SLX
No, I don't want an exchange of seat post.
[no extra charge]
Yes, I would like to have my new bike delivered with the VCLS Post 2.0 (+2 / -10 mm Setback). The colour is corresponding to the replaced seat post. This exchange incurs an additional charge.
[+ £ 63.56]
Yes, I would like to have my new bike delivered with the VCLS Post 2.0 (+25 / +13 mm Setback). The colour is corresponding to the replaced seat post. This exchange incurs an additional charge.
[+ £ 63.56

Comments

• VCLS Post 2.0 is 2 carbon blades acting as springs to absorb small road bumps.
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/vcls2/

The VCLS Post (15-35mm Setback) seems pretty similiar to the default post on the Ultimate AL.
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/vcls_post.html
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Seem to recall nreading problems with VCLS 2.0 seatpost slipping. I think there is a rider weight limit of 85kg on it otherwise there could be problems with slipping

Might be worth checking out before you decide.
  • nibby
    Thanks for info. One place I always forget about looking is the company's website!! doh!!

I've been reading about the slipping but hopefully with my current weight that should be ok.

I suppose it might be worth trying..
  • A weight limit of 83kgs look like a fudge to get round a design fault. I mean 183kgs maybe, but 13 stone!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    A weight limit of 83kgs look like a fudge to get round a design fault. I mean 183kgs maybe, but 13 stone!
    I think the split design allows the post flex more in cross-section under clamping force and so prevents a really solid installation. Beefing up the post to rectify this would interfere with the intended longitudinal flex needed to provide the shock absorption.

I got a VCLS 2.0 post with my Ultimate CF and it does give a luxuriously smooth ride. I liked it.
    However it wouldn't stay put. If I remember correctly I did 4 short test & setup rides on it. The post slipped during two of them despite very careful installation to max allowed torque. I e-mailed Canyon who responded the same day enquiring about my weight and saying they were seeing problems with riders over 80 to 85kg using this post. They sent me out a VCLS post straight away (I weigh about 86kg).
    To be honest although the VCLS 2.0 post was lovely, I don't miss it. The bike is still very comfortable with the VCLS.

The VCLS post is a very nice light and easily adjustable comfort-adding post. It's not as extreme on the comfort side as the VCLS 2.0 but it's still done very well in side by side tests against the competition. If the Ultimate CF is anything to go by it's certainly not essential to upgrade. I've used my bike with the VCLS 2.0 (very, very comfy), an old carbon wrapped alloy post for a ride or two while I waited for the VCLS to arrive (comfy) and then the last few months with the VCLS (very comfy).

I think whether or not you're bothered about upgrading the seatpost really depends on whether you have the money to spend and whether you ride on rough roads. The tyres will make more difference but every little helps.

Given the slippage issue, I think if I weighed <70kg I'd definitely consider the VCLS 2.0. Above that I probably wouldn't.

If I wasn't going for the VCLS 2.0 then I'd get the original VCLS.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Stick with the original VCLS post, mine is great and absorbs the rough stuff fine.
  • nibby
    Cracking, thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to stick with the original then....

It's good to hear from people with first hand experience with them.

Cheers
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    nibby wrote:
    Cracking, thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to stick with the original then....
    Not sure what you meant by "original". There's the original bike spec (stock post) or what I think is the original VCLS post. In case it's the former, bear in mind the two bikes you're looking at have different stock specifications.
    The CF SLX comes with the original VCLS post as standard (they seem to call this the S13 now). The AL SLX comes with a different VCLS post (they call it the S23) that doesn't have the same setback adjustment as the S13. I don't know if it's as good for comfort or not.
  • nibby
    Thanks ai_1 yes I was meaning the stock on whatever model I decide on which is at the moment the ultimate al slx as I want to upgrade my daily commute bike.

Although if I can afford both then the SLX will become my weekend/sportive/racing bike but if I can only go for one then it will be the al.