bike security (gps)

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I have recently just built a santa cruz Bronson C and would like to hide a gps tracking device on it somewhere incase the worst should happen, there seems to be a few different types of tracker available, ideally I would like one I can hide in the frame and one that I can use an app to track the bike at anytime, has anyone got/had one of these systems or can recommend one?

thanks
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To summarise that thread.

Non of them work and once you've bought the useless thing they won't have anything more to do with you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tarqy
    Tarqy Posts: 14
    There was a kickstarter campaign last year for http://lock8.me/ seems to be better than anything currently available but looks like its not gone to retail yet. I believe the GPS requires a subscription as its tied to a mobile sim for location updates.
    2015 Cube Reaction GTC SL 27.5
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You could probably build your own with a cheap GPS enabled Android phone and PAYG SIM card. Most phones have motion sensors in them now, and you get apps which can call, text and track based on certain triggers (ie being moved). I guess the problem would be fitting it to the bike in a place it wont be easily noticed. Saddle bag might do.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tarqy wrote:
    There was a kickstarter campaign last year for http://lock8.me/ seems to be better than anything currently available but looks like its not gone to retail yet. I believe the GPS requires a subscription as its tied to a mobile sim for location updates.
    Looks an even shitter idea than the others. And 250 Euros?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools